HybridZ

Cleaned Up l28 manifold, pallnet rail, throttle cable...

240hoke

• Administrators

I have only done one EGR manifold and it is the one pictured here though it is no where near as nice as Datsunan’s polished example, (oh and by the way Datsunan, if you didn’t already know or haven’t been told yet, your engine is GORGEOUS).

What a pain in the arse the EGR version was. Took lots more work than the no EGR version and it still isn’t as nice as the Non EGR intakes. The only way I’ll do another EGR intake like this is for twice the $$$ that I’d charge for a comparable Non EGR intake.

I clamp them down to the mill table first and rough machine all the bosses down, then I spend between 2-6 hours with the die grinder blending, of course it depends on how close to “perfect” the customer wants the intake as to how long I spend carving and blending. I’ll then fill in the holes and nooks and do some more blending with the die grinder. I also do a little port work at the entrance of the intake and port match it to the throttle valve the customer is using. I also clean up the little nubs on the head side of the runners as well. If this intake is going on a show car, (or the customer specifies a particular finish), I’ll then take the intake down to a local polisher and have him take the intake either to a polish or just one or two steps below that if the intake is to be painted or coated, like the nice satin one on the Turbo engine above that hasn’t been coated yet. On the EGR style intake, I milled off the EGR plenum off the bottom, and plugged the holes leading into the runners. I also cut off the EGR boss on the rear of the intake as well, and the EGR intake have few more bumps and nubs that need to be machined/ground off.

Any how, this customer was pleased with his EGR style intake. In a few more years, the EGR style intakes may be all that is available! The Non EGR intakes are getting harder and harder to find. 10 years ago, it wasn’t a problem to locate one…

intMedium.jpg

Hey Braap ...Can't you just leave the stuff on the bottom alone and get ride of the EGR "mount" and then weld that hole? you can't see the bottom of the intake anyway when its on the car. Is there a performance reason to cut the bottom part off? I'm not going for a show car I just want it to be clean.

Also... the pair shaped intake... do you fill the top part with weld then grind it to match the 60mm TB, or do you just weld a patch over it? and do you have a picture of it finnished for a 60mm TB?

Thanks, Matt

Rock on Z people :rockon:

• Administrators

Matt,

Yes, from a functional standpoint you could just cut off the EGR boss and seal up the EGR plenum and be done with it. From a cosmetics standpoint, if you look down through the runners of an EGR intake, you can see approx half of the EGR plenum that is cast onto the underside of the runners. Just depends on how picky the customer is about the intake looking as clean and uncluttered as possible.

I’m actually in the process right now of setting up a NON EGR Intake manifold using a 60 MM throttle valve for my road Race 240 powered by a Flat top L-28 with one of my Maxima N-47 heads. I haven’t go the inlet as of yet, (probably wont till later this winter), but when I do, I’ll post pics of what I do for you.