HybridZ

Freelance Engineering Job - How much to charge?

Guest PBooty

So this guy made this bed that he wants to eventually mass produce.

He wants me to do research on parts/materials, draw it up in CAD, write out the specs, make 3d renders, then take pics and photoshop for display materials (pamphlets and such).

How much should i charge for something like this?

Most of the time will be done doing the research, and photoshoping the end result. Its a relatively simple design, so cad work could be done in one weekend.

Should I go hourly? Flat rate?

Input please...

Do you have to stamp the dwgs? If so then do it by the job plus commish would be your best bet. Figure what a big house would charge and charge just as much or maybe a little less if your going to go by the job. Figure hours, $150/hr for time on spec's. Do you have Masterspec? I paid 10K for Masterspec on disc years ago. I paid 20K for ACAD not to mention upgrades. I paid 20K for WaterCAD not including upgrades. I charge 2 to 3K per sheet of dwgs depending on detail. 3D rendering is extra 3 to 5K depending on format on disc, dwgs, or what level of detail that involves.

Hourly and do some research on what consulting engineers in your area charge for their time. Also, you need to realize that since you are being paid for the engineering of this bed you'll be on the hook if it hurts someone. You might want to look into some kind of liability coverage or have your customer sign an indemnification saying he will assume all liabilities, court, judgement, and other costs.

I'd say use your judgement. If this is something that you are familiar with and you think you can estimate your time well then do a flat rate. Otherwise do hourly. I'd also say that anything under 30 bucks an hour you can laugh at. Personally I would ask for 40-50 an hour minimum. This is a field that I am in too so I am not just talking out my butt. Make sure whatever you do your client signs a contract specifying all that you are going to do. Cover yourself so that they don't expect more. Be real specific, like how many drawings they are getting and how many 3d renderings etc. Anything above the scope of work you can charge for. If you need a model made let me know. That is what I am doing while I get my masters in product design.

Good luck

I do not have to stamp the drawings. I don't even have my PE yet =/

The guy just wants a set of plans that he could take to a furniture manufacturer that would convey his idea.

The bed itself would consist of 5-6 different parts. Its basically a platform with blocks supporting it. Picture something ikea would produce if they wanted to be Japanese.

Interesting note about the liability issue...I will look into that

I'd say use your judgement. If this is something that you are familiar with and you think you can estimate your time well then do a flat rate. Otherwise do hourly. I'd also say that anything under 30 bucks an hour you can laugh at. Personally I would ask for 40-50 an hour minimum. This is a field that I am in too so I am not just talking out my butt. Make sure whatever you do your client signs a contract specifying all that you are going to do. Cover yourself so that they don't expect more. Be real specific' date=' like how many drawings they are getting and how many 3d renderings etc. Anything above the scope of work you can charge for. If you need a model made let me know. That is what I am doing while I get my masters in product design.

Good luck[/quote']

I've never done something like this before (if u can't tell), so I have no idea how to accurately estimate my time...

Could you send over that model your talking about? could be helpful

thanks in advance...

Honestly, for what you are describing I'd say no more than $20/hr. If you had all the skills necessary to do it, and were a PE then you can look at big dollars. But $150/hr for something like this is out of the question unless you are putting yourself on the line as far as liability goes. (as in stamping drawings) On top of that you'd better know what you are doing and have done it before to charge that kind of money.

Better yet work out something with him that gets you a cut of every item produced. That can work well for both sides.

Best way to start estimating time is to take your best estimate for your time, double it, then tell him that is the minimum amount of time it will take you. I'm not kidding.