HybridZ

Turbo Exhuast Valves and valve stem seals

HadesOmega

I'm changing the head gasket on my L28ET in my 280Z and was looking at the exhuast valves. They're all white except where the gasket blew and spewed water over them. I was checking the head out and looks like it might need to be resurfaced so I was wonder if I should have the head rebuilt with new exhuast valves. Is it something that will fail often? On my turbo eclipse it cracked a valve at like 110k miles and I know exhuast is hotter on turbocharged cars than NA cars.

Also I have a headkit that I bought for my old engine. Does anyone know if the valve stem seals from a 76 L28E will work on a 82 L28ET? Thinking I should change those out if I get it rebuilt.

haha one more quick question is it common for cylinder 3 and 4 to blow the gasket and burn water? Samething happened to both my engines I thought I could be slick and get away with putting in the turbo one but that one crapped in the same place too.

The valve stem seals you have will work..

I ahve not had a head gasket blow (stock or otherwise), so I cannot really assist you w/ the second question, other than that they must be blowing for a reason. A head resurface should take care of it though.

damn I can't find exhuast valves anywhere maybe I'll just get it resurfaced. anyway I think I found out why it keep on blowing in the same place. the exhaust valves are right next to each other on 3 and 4 and on the other cylinders the exhuast is next to an intake valve.

anyway I hope a resurface will just do the trick.