HybridZ

NO M3 for me!!!

BLKMGK

Guest Anonymous

They coulda had a Z8... :D

Regards,

Lone

Ps: This is weird BMW's are usually pretty good motors, oh well, poor yuppies have to use they're hush puppies... :D

I'm very surprised! I had no idea that BMW would sell such untested crap. Broken valves, broken rods, bent crank shafts all with very low mileage. I thought these cars did well in many racing classes, and performance without reliability don't cut it.

Anyone know why the valves are filled with sodium?

Well, I bet a lot of these cars will be selling for dirt cheap after the warranty is gone. If the rest of the car is in good shape (suspention/brakes/interior electronics) it could be used to stick a RB engine into :-) Who knows though, the same guys that designed the engine could be some of the same type that designed the chassis.

Guest Anonymous

I think sodium filled valves are for cooling the valve down actually, I could be wrong, but I believe thats what I read they're purpose is.

Regards,

Lone

I'm sure they will have a recall on the E46 engines. If this is true and to many people complain I'm sure will hear it in the News. That was very shocking but I believe it. Over all BMW is an excellent car company. Very good service. They treat you like a king when your car is being service.

Usually you get what you pay for but in this case it's a different story. At least I noticed they all got good service with no hassles replacing their engines.

Would I still buy one? HELL YEAH!!! if I had the money and as long as it was under warranty bonk.gif They out performed the cars in there same class - streetwise that is.

BTW, this only problem is only on the new M3's not the old one's.

if anyone remembers correctly.....BMW was rushed by the press the customers and BMW NA to get this car ready....what where they rushed on?..the engine. BMW GhMB(?) stated that the new motor was not ready and would have at least a year of testing. BMW NA said no..and a six month deal was struck. obviosly it wasnt enough.

I for one am a huge BMW fan....engineering is above average and build quality is fantastic. also...have yous guys ever been to the dealer?...its like a really nice hotel...big couches....books...all kinds of stuff....

anywho...the first couple of yeras of a new completely new car...it can be expected.

but id still buy one....IMHO its the most beautiful cars built today.

Guest Anonymous

I agree, even when I had my lowly 318ti, I was treated really well there, service was extremely good, probably the best I've ever had. They would schedule appointments to fit YOUR time and not "bring it down at 7:00 and wait in a 30 car line" and when you arrive, no line, not that many cars being serviced and like I say they treated all with respect. I'd buy another beemer in a minute if I could afford it, but I think I'd go for a 540 with the 4 ltr aluminum V8 with a six speed or the 5 speed trick automatic, that car is trick for a 4 door!

Regards,

Lone

Ps: That straight six can be quite a killer motor, I used to tune a friends 70's Barvaria model (about like a 5 or 7 series, can't recall which) with twin carbs, and it was one running son of a gun after you were rolling, definitely a autobahn car. It'd cruise at 100 like you were going 35. And when you stopped even from 100, the car would just sink down and flat stop now, best brakes I've felt.

Guest Anonymous

I'd be one pissed puppy if BMW NA was jerking me about fixing my new M3, especially when you by the car based on the superior quality of them. I'll be surprised if they get out of this without some kind of class action lawsuit.

Umm, if you think they all got good service you had better reread those posts! At least one guy got corralled into paying for a new $20K motor and is now suing them after hearing about all the other failures. In almost every case their going in ASSumption was that the customer had overrevved the engine. That's an engine with a breaking point within something like 500RPMs of peak power from what I gather. That sux!

BTW - talked to someone at work today who owns a Z3 and was looking to upgrade to an M3. Guess what they will NOT be buying as a result?

Guest Speaker

actually no, this is quite normal for BMW... and typical German cars

shoddy build quality(interior rattles, interior parts break on all but the most expensive versions like the 540i and 750/745); shoddy parts quality(can't handle anymore power than stock; and sometimes not even that!); just typical German quality... utter crap

its the main reason not to buy an M3 or any other BMW; other than it being extremely slow for the money you pay...

Their dealer service is quite good, they do treat you well, as all luxury brands do, they don't treat you the best though, Mercedes, Lexus, and Infiniti do that. I know several people that work in a BMW dealership, and I hear nothing but problems about all the models except for the most expensive ones. They probably pay off magazines to not give bad reviews of the cars build quality... the same goes for Mercedes, as they are even worse... big name; but crappy car (although BMW is still more reliable than Mercedes)...

But BMW still has a lot to learn in building cars from Lexus and Infiniti (and in customer satisfaction w/ the dealer, as Lexus and Infiniti are the highest rated brands there too)

I'm going to have to disagree with Speaker (no bashing intended). Actually everything he mentioned is totally the opposite. I only agree if youre talking about the old models. I do agree on Mercedes, Infinity, Lexus give you the same treatment, which they all treat you good.

You have to own one to actually know the truth. I know a person who traded his E46 M3 (yes the new M3) for the new Z06 406HP Corvette. He mentioned, “Yeah the Corvette is a better performer but doesn’t compare to the BMW especially in the Luxury side. He said, “Compared to the BMW the Corvette is just a muscle car”.

As for the performance side of its own car class, there’s no car that can out perform the M3 or M5, not Mercedes, Lexus, Infinity, Ford, Chevy, etc. There are only a few cars in stock form that you can take to a road course and actually keep up with other cars that are modified. An M3 does low 13’s in the quarter mile, extremely slow is an understatement. I bet if you put DR’s and turn off the Traction control it would hit 12’s.

I hope you get a chance to test drive a new M3, I think you will be pleased. If you do, push the car as hard as you can in acceleration and cornering – I doubt you will get to it’s limits unless you have some good experience in road course / race track.

I won't mention the real utter crappy manufactures with stale looks and stale interiors

My Very Long .02

Guest Anonymous

Did R0N mention he owns a 750 (or something) BMW? Beautiful car R0N. Anyway, if anyone should know about the BMW service and quality it ol' ronny. The car looks very well maintained.

Originally posted by Speaker:

actually no, this is quite normal for BMW... and typical German cars

shoddy build quality(interior rattles, interior parts break on all but the most expensive versions like the 540i and 750/745); shoddy parts quality(can't handle anymore power than stock; and sometimes not even that!); just typical German quality... utter crap

Hmm... I think my 535i might disagree with you. It's over 250,000 miles old, and still runs smooth and rattle free all the way up to 130 mph.

Yes, it's had its share of problems, but no more than any other car I've ever owned, Z's included. It's been a very trouble-free car all things considered. I've owned 2 e28 5 series, 1 e32 535i, and an e24 635 CSi. All have been basically good cars, and none have been bad. What separates BMW's from the rest of the herd is the balance between power, stability, and entertainment. For factory hot rod sedans, you can't beat 'em.

Scott Ferguson

1985 535i

1984 Honda CB700SC

1974 Datsun 260Z

i am a tech for a ford dealer so i know all about recalls.most of the time the problem is a bad run of parts.alot of parts are manufactured by subcontractors.a few bad valves with metalurgy problems will show up after car is run for a while.as far as checking for over revs you can thank your federal government for obd2.i forget what the number is but i have set that code in more than a few mustangs.the next problem is the factory warrenty times the techs are paid to do the repairs.never enough.plus the greedy golf playing sob dealer ship owner that pays the salesman 60 to80 thou a year and only wants to pay the tech $15/hour.you dont get rocket scientists for $15 /hour.buy only what you can fix your self.