HybridZ

Coil Over FAQ Question

Just FYI for sources, I received my 2.170" collars and the other parts depicted from A-1 Racing today, so they are indeed supplying them.

I'll update once they are installed.

Can anyone tell me which coilover kit is the narrowest, ie. provides the most perch to wheel clearance? Ive got 10" wheels (with 285s) in the rear and 9" (with 255s) in the front that i just put on and the tires rub on the stock perch, a little in the front and pretty hard on the rears. Simply looked at the AZC and MMS kits as of yet. thanks.

Nope

As I just went thru this situation I can tell you that you gain about 3/4 of an inch just going to 2.5 inch coil over kit.

But to get big meats in there at the rear, the use of a eight inch long spring is required.

What this does is to raise the lower perch to take up the lack of spring length.

As you have seen the strut is mounted at an inboard angle, so as the perch goes up, it goes in.

I was informed that at eight inches, however, one needs a pretty stiff spring rate to prevent spring bind. Stiffer than I wanted so I went with ten inch springs and 255 rears. Fits the wells with 3/8 clearance from the springs.

Your wheel "offset" may be different but regardless...stiff rear, 2.5 od, eight inch is about the best you can do. There are alot of options out there for spring set ups. I searched at this site for many options. Wound up using the MMS kit. No experience with the others, so I cant say.

Thats a lot of tire you got there! Gonna take some nipping and tucking,and maybe a shim or two.you got a challange on your hands if you dont have flairs.

Good luck!

Twoeightnine

[quote name='That Guy With a F**D Motor :) ]73LT1Z

Did you get the upper perches? And if so' date=' and if I may ask, was the total.

Twoeightnine.[/quote']

I did, and don't waste your money- they won't work with the stock upper plate.

The threaded parts are $18.80 each, and I got the Vette lower nuts (must be my mentality ;)) for $12.87 each, so about $63 for the parts + $80 for the springs @ Summit.

I did' date=' and don't waste your money- they won't work with the stock upper plate.

The threaded parts are $18.80 each, and I got the Vette lower nuts (must be my mentality ;)) for $12.87 each, so about $63 for the parts + $80 for the springs @ Summit.[/quote']

so what did you use for an upper mount? Just the coil straight to the stock perch????

Any rubber isolator or mount at all??

and how did you find springs for $80 for all 4 at summit? Cheapest they have is $35 a piece

so what did you use for an upper mount? Just the coil straight to the stock perch????

Any rubber isolator or mount at all??

and how did you find springs for $80 for all 4 at summit? Cheapest they have is $35 a piece

I am only doing the front for now' date=' so the $80 price was for 2 springs, although Summit [i']should[/i] give me a volume discount :).

I followed the instructions on Brian's webpage & welded a 1" length of 2.5" exhaust pipe into the Datsun upper perch, no rubber isolator involved. This seems to work out well so far, but I haven't driven it yet.

twoeightnine, thanks for the response. My rear wheel offset is like 12mm and like 15mm in front and ive got flares. Im still saving up for and SR20 after dropping a bunch of cash on the AZC brake kit. After that ill go for the coilovers since ill need the car to move. Right now the spring perch rubbing is so bad the car wont roll haha. Are there camber plates you can get to work with the MMS coilovers?

73LT1Z

Nice shot!

Hey if it takes a vette "nut" on your Z to give em a run, I'm rooting for ya!

Yes I was concerned about the upper. In the pic it looked as if it wouldn't work without some fabbing.

After a couple of weeks of searching and scratching the head, I just bailed and went with the full kit. I hate doing a job more than once. It can start adding up.

Was hopeing to get away cheaper, but I have plenty of other opportunities in the build for some savings. Keep the parts list and keep us abreast.

Good luck!

Twoeightnine.

Nope...

If you bolted your wheels on and they are only rubbing "hard" on the stock springs, with the 2.5 inch OD springs installed and the flares, sounds like you should be in good shape.

Two types of camber plates, weld in and bolt on. Both will work with MMS.

Oh yes, there are two other camber options rarely recomended. The slot the towers and use large washers or cam bolt.

Looks like so far the gather parts and assemble a kit verses buying a kit made for the Z has a savings of 60 to 80 dollars. Sound right?

Im just trying to make myself feel better!:D

Good luck, get er on the road!!

Twoeightnine.

• 11 months later...