HybridZ

A few clarifications

iistevo84ii

Ill make this as breif as I possibly can.....

My 1976 280z is my #1 favorite of all the cars I've ever owned, except..... the three speed auto has to go!!! Almost 4,000rpms at 75mph is getting old, plus the tranny makes my car slow!!

So what transmission to choose?? 4 spd probably would be the easiest swap, but I want a 5spd. It is my understanding that late model z's and zx's were the only ones to have a 5spd. So that leads to ratios. My car has a R200 with what I assume has a 3.54 in it. If I wanted to stay naturally aspirated with the L motor, what 5spd would best complement that 3.54 ratio???

So my list of needed parrts consists of (feel free to add if i left something out):

Tranny

clutch

Flywheel

master

slave

pedal or whole assembly??

metal hose that connects the master an slave

Drive shaft??? I was under the impression that I would not need to get a new one no matter what z or zx tranny I used.

Crossmember-same as the auto??

This will probably be a Jan-Feb project for me. Any help is apreiciated, and my wallet is open, so if you have something I need drop me a pm!!

Thanks!

It fairly depends on what you want to use the car for,

however i would say a 77 through 82 5 speed as the late zx 5 speed has longer ratios.

Swapping to a 4 or 5 speed is not anything diffrent so 5 speed would be the way to go, infact!! atleast in europe.. 4 speeds are really rare, as they only came in one year 240 here, the rest is 5 speeds

:twisted: The best transmission to put in for you, would be one out of a early 280ZX (5-speed only). With the rearend gearing that you have, it will help with coming off the line a lot. There is a lot of info on most of the Z car sites about the gearing in the transmission. It will also tell you how to do it. just remember if you do not have the clutch assembly in the car now. You will need to get it from a Z car with a clutch (from the pedal to the clutch slave unit). Good Luck with it, Rich.