HybridZ

engine choices...i need help

MERCDRAGON

The supercharged and turbo cars always tend to heat up after 20 minutes at 6000rpm unless they are full blown race cars. That is why I drive the Z06

I'm curious as to the validity of this statement. That being said, I didn't realize you could get a Z06 motor for this price. However, that 406 is not RWHP, its flywheel (or crank) which is about 325-330rwhp ( I calculated 20% drivetrain loss)? I mean an L28et can do that in it's sleep for 6k, though probably not an RB because of the swap and motor cost. Of course this is off subject seeing as he never mentioned forced induction or L motor option.

I would def. go with a 302 over a rb25de though. As AKWIKZ stated, you'd have a job getting the rb25de to 300hp.

Guest speedmon

I found this from a previous post......list of weights for engine/trans combos. A good reference if you are building a track car. And if your track of preference has turns......less weight is better.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=97320&highlight=engine+weight

If you are going V8 then aluminum is the ticket....LS1, LS6 and now the LS7 (7.0 liter, 500hp stock, small block chevy). All found on Ebay.

Guest speedmon

OK, A little off the subject, but he said he was building a track car.

LS6 motors are easily tuned (heads and cam) to 420rwhp. That is the SCCA T1 spec.

If you're curious about the longevity of turbo motors, I invite you to come to the track with me next time and watch how many DNFs and failures there are with forced induction engines. We could take your your car, its a turbo, and run it for 30 minutes (continuous) and see what happens....just a little levity.

If you have experience with these Z cars you could come anyway and help me figure out how to solve this oversteer issue I'm having.

I wasn't actually challenging the statement, just didn't know if it was true or not. A 300hp turbo motor didn't seem all that stressful of a job to me.

I'm curious as to the budget the thread starter is working with for the project. Its the first thing that always crosses my mine since I'm usually broke. Heck, looking back, I should've gotten an LS6 motor, though I'm addicted to the sound of turbo spool now.

like i said im a full time college student but i can buy the parts over time if i get a full time job this summer. it should cost ~$4k total to get parts and build the 302 chevy and get it in the car and running. right now i have money for gas and thats it seeing as how i live in southern california.

my turbo l28 ran for years before blowing a head gasket at 18 psi .that included many track days.but track days it got 110 octane nascar gas.if i wass worried about weight i would run a 302 ford with a t5.i have a hot rod mag about 3 years old that has an article about a stock 90 302 making 400 hp on a dyno with heads,manifold and headers .a world class t5 would work fine on a road course.but i would build the engine with 5.4" rods and custom pistons.

Guest speedmon

If I was on a budget, and its always good to be when you are building a car, I would agree with Randy, and build a ford 5.0L (302). I'm not a ford guy, but

1. mustang donors car are readily available

2. there is a plentiful market of parts (stock and aftermarket)

3. that's what the Cobra guys do....and those cars hold together.

I have an old chevy Z28 with a 302 and when I restored it, that crank was hard to find....not to mention the $1000.

like i said im a full time college student but i can buy the parts over time if i get a full time job this summer. it should cost ~$4k total to get parts and build the 302 chevy and get it in the car and running. right now i have money for gas and thats it seeing as how i live in southern california.

You can get a RB25DET (Turbo) motor, tranny, Harness and ECu for about $2,700. $300 for new motor mounts. And another $500 to $1,000 for the rest of the stuff.

Guest speedmon

Those engines are cool! There are a few on Ebay right now. How much modification do you have to do to get that engine to reliably produce 500hp.

A little off the subject....but does the shifter on the tranny line up?

the reason i dont want the rb25det is because i dont have the time to wire everything(sensors, fuel system, computer) on that motor setup and initial tuning would be annoying. plus i want the low end response of an na motor because of a few mountain roads in the area that i love to drive. anyone from the san diego area knows some of the ones im talking about(palomar mountain and highland valley road especially). my original v8 idea was a carbed chevy 302 because i already have the chevy block with 4-bolt mains and the only wiring would be the ignition...relatively easy.

Guest speedmon

OK.......I don't remember that tidbit.

I think a 302 is made with a 327 large journal crankbore block and a 283 crank. If the block is not a large journal one (and I think they were 2 bolt mains) I don't think a 283 crank will fit. If the engine has all it's internals I would suggest rebuilding the lower end (that is cheap) and put some good flowing aluminum heads with a nice manifold and carb. All parts can be found on Ebay and you can easily get to 350-400hp.

But you may want to check out this website as sometimes its cheaper to buy than to build..........

Here's a full roller 350 with Alum heads and 400lbs of torque for $3800 (I know thats abit high for your budget)

http://www.sdpc2000.com/catalog/120/products/117/ZZ4-355hp-350ci-GM-Performance-Parts-Crate-Engine.htm

Guest speedmon

OK, Well Happy Birthday..........

It took me 7 years to restore this 68 Z-28 I have now in my garage (collecting dust) and I never thought I would ever re-use some of the info. Attached are the casting numbers of the cranks that chevy used to build their motors in the 60s and 70s including the infamous screamer 302s......maybe it will help.

Try Hemmings motor news (paper and .com) they have lots of old stuff.

I hope this comes through.....if not send me your email and I'll send you the info by email (tracquest@yahoo.com)

http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/bbe8afb/a5f1/__sr_/bf52scd.jpg?phw3UjDBtvnKMhCb

http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/bbe8afb/a5f1/__sr_/79c9scd.jpg?phw3UjDBnJV3xxl9

http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/bbe8afb/a5f1/__sr_/7749scd.jpg?phw3UjDBNPpXcE8J

I hope you mother gets well soon