HybridZ

Roots supercharger basics

mobythevan

I am new to running a roots supercharger and was curious about a few basics since I picked up a used setup. What oil do I run in the charger and where can I get it? It is a B&M250. I was told I could run it without a pop off plate since it uses a 16rib marine belt system. Also I am not sure how to much to tension the belt. Any other basic advice for this type of setup. I have run turbos so I am aware of boost issues, just not supercharger specific stuff.

Your "fun" is about to start......:hail:

As to the oil, use heavy duty 90 weight gear oil found at any auto store. If you want, e-mail me your address and I will send you a copy of my blower manual. Also give me an idea of your build and I'll comment on it from my exp.

What psi pulley does it have and what carb(s) are you going to run? A dyno near you and funds I would really recommend to do this right and save on replacement parts.....

LARRY

Welcome to the Dark Side of Forced Induction.

Are you going to go Fuel Inj or Carb?

The Eaton M62 supercharger that I have takes special oil for the gears.

There are a few people that either have one running or in the process of building a supercharged Z, but we are definetly in the minority!

On our roots 6-71 blower I run red line 90 w oil, I was told it was the best to use, and I have not had any problems. Belt adjustment on my set up is probably diffirent then yours, I have to leave at least a 1/2 inch play in mine with it cold. When it heats up it tightens. As far as tuning I would go on the rich side 1st, you do not want to lean it out. I use a areomotive fuel reg. w/ boot sensitve, so when I build boost it raises the fuel pressure on a 1 to 1 basis. Make sure you hook it up at the bottom of the blower. If your headers glow red then you are lean. I hope this helps?

John