HybridZ

help finding a poem...

SuperKid

I heard saw this poem a while back. I don't know what it's called, but I'll try to give a goodd discription of it and maybe someone has read the same poem and can tell me what it's called or perhaps give a link to a website that it's located on. Okay, the poem is about being an automotive technician. It says something about doctors being payed more and getting more respect although new cars and new technology are coming out every year and the human body hasn't changed in over 2000 years. It says that techs have to learn more and I believe the last line is something like, "for every page of their manual, there is 25 in ours." I know this is kind of a long shot, but I would really appreciate if someone knows of this poem. Thanks.

Don't know the poem but I know a joke...

A rich doctor was at his local repair shop when a mechanic says to him

"How come you guys get the big bucks and i can barley make a living?"

"I mean take a look at this head, its just like a human heart, its got valves that let the lifes blood of the engine in and out."

"I can take it out, rebuild it, and put it back in making the engine run better than it ever has before. See our jobs are just alike!"

The doctor leans over and says...

"Try doing it with the engine running."

I know this has been disproved, but always liked this tale about engineering design:

The U.S. Standard Railroad Gauge (distance between the rails) is 4 feet, 8-1/2 inches or 56-1/2 inches. Now that's an exceedingly odd number. Why was that width chosen? Our research will tell you why.

The U.S. purchased their first railroad engines from England who designed & built them using expatriate engineers. Their first rail lines were built by the same people who built the pre-railroad tramways, and that's the gauge (width) they used. The tramways used the same jigs and tooling they used for building wagons which used the same wheel spacing. All other wagon manufactures used the same wheel width.

The wagons wheel ruts would ware into the roads making it impossible for any other wheel width to navigate roads both in Europe & England. The first long distance roads in Europe were built by Imperial Rome for the benefit of their legions. The same thoroughfares have been used ever since.

The initial ruts were first made by Roman war chariots. These chariots were designed to be pulled by two horses hitched side by side. The chariot wheels had to be spaced far enough apart to avoid the hoof marks left by the horses, yet not protrude past the flanks of the horses to prevent entanglement with opposing traffic or roadside vegetation. Since all chariots were made by Imperial Rome and they were all alike. Thus, we have the answer to the original question based upon our insistent research completed by the the VLC Line Engineers.

The United States Standard Railroad Gauge of 4 feet, 8-1/2 inches derives from the original specification for an Imperial Roman army war chariot. Two thousand years later and a continent away, the track layout of most of the U.S. railway network is based upon the fact that Imperial Roman chariots were made to be just wide enough to accommodate the rear-ends of two war horses. This is proof that Specs and bureaucracies live forever. So, the next time you are handed a specification just wonder if a couple of horse's behind's caused it, and you may be exactly right. ha~ha!!

Trevor' date='

I think you want to refer to MIL- TFD-4AC. Something I am frequently telling contractors and maunfacturing:

Make It Like- The Farking Drawing- 4 A Change![/quote']

Oooh! I'm going to have to write that one down and give that to my machinist!