HybridZ

280zx turbo automatic to 280z automatic help please

attyoung911

hi guys

i am new to this board. i have read alot of your posts and have learned alot from them. now I am ready to do my first motor swap. it is a , 1976 datsun 280Z automatic transmission car. i have for it already, i picked up cheap. a 1981 turbo automatic motor and transmission and all wirings for the swap. my questions is,

can i use the 1981 turbo and attached automatic transmission as a straight swap over to my 1976 280Z motor and automatic transmission. or is it more to that. please advise or direct me to others who have done the automatic swap. i prefer to keep, or must keep automatic transmission in case wife wants to drive it.

i have search message board already.

thank you all in advance.

Yes a direct swap but I believe the output shaft on the turbo trans is larger and requires use of the turbo driveshaft.

The downside is that the 280zx driveshaft is longer than the one in your 280z. I got mine to fit in my 260z but it is almost bottoming out in the trans. The upside is that the U joints are larger and seem to take quite a bit of punishment. Also the turbo driveshaft is different on the diff end. Lastly the turbo trans has additional clutches and is even more bullet proof than the NA trans.

drzed is right the output shaft is larger and the non turbo ones won't fit. he is also correct about the zxt auto being much stronger. it has more clutches AND much higher line pressure than the non turbo counter parts. and yes you'll have to have the drive shaft length "fixed".

jesse

This is what I did to my late 260Z (almost the same as your car). Install your '81 turbo engine, trans, driveshaft, rear end and CV halfshafts. Buy the adaptors from Ross at Modern Motorsport to adapt your CV axels to your 280z stub axels. The only other expense might be the cost to shorten the 280ZX turbo driveshaft a wee bit - mine fit but it is very tight.

What this will do is eliminate 4 of the U joints from the system and upgrade the other two to the larger 280ZX turbo size. I have run this way for the last 2 years without any problems.

• 8 months later...

Hello, I am thinking of putting a 1981 280zx turbo auto tranny in my 240z(203hp and 262 tq.) I have all the parts already. Is there a problem with the cross member that holds up the tranny in the 240z. What mods do I have to do to get this tranny install? Thanks, Kenny