HybridZ

T-56 Rebuild Woes

IdahoZ

I am in the process of rebuilding a T-56 out of 1995 Camaro for my '72 240Z Hybrid. The rebuild seems pretty straight forward so far but I have run into a problem I can not seem to solve and the local transmission shop was also unable to assist me. I purchased a complete rebuild kit from the Gear Box which came with all new syncros, blockers, bearings, races, seals, bushings, etc. Since I had a new tailhousing bushing as part of the kit, I decided to replace it. What a mistake that was. The new bushing does not fit! When I pressed it into the housing it deformed into the grooves that are machined into the sides of the tailhousing and the slip yoke will not fit into the bushing. I removed it and purchased a second bushing and had the tranmission shop install it, same results. I emailed numerous transmission vendors asking for help and was told to use the correct tool. But nobody can give me a part number for this "correct tool". They all say to call Kent-Moore Tools and ask them. I emailed Kent-Moore and they told me they need a part number to look it up as their books do not tell them what tool it is. OK, I'm getting frustrated by now. I go and look through a service manual at the local Chevy dealership and find a listing of all special tools in the tranmission section. Guess what, no tool listed for the tailhousing bushing install. I go back to the transmission dealer and ask if they have any other bushings I could try. They give me two different bushings with slightly smaller outside diameters that are made by a different manufacturer. Hey, things are looking up. I go home and install one of the new bushing using a socket on the inside of the bushing so it will not deform. It deformed and the yoke would not even begin to fit. I pressed the bushing out and tried the second one using the slip yoke to actually press the bushing in so that the bushing can not deform. Well, once the bushing was pressed into the housing, the slip yoke would not turn at all. I had the use my press to get it out again. Has anyone rebuild a T-56 or know of anyone that has that has faced this problem??

Thanks.

OK, I tried freezing the bushing with dry ice and heating the housing up with a propane torch. The bushing did not slip in like I thought it would, but it did press in much easier, but it still did not stay round and the slip yoke would still not slide in. Today I called and talked with a technician at Tremec and he told me that Tremec does not sell this bushing seperate but they do sell the tailhousing with the bushing installed. They press the bushing in and then machine the bushing so the ID is perfectly round and 38.23-38.28mm and thus providing a perfect fit every time for the slip yoke. So I guess I need to purchase a new tailhousing or take mine to a machine shop and have the installed bushing machined to fit the slip yoke. I think I will try the machine shop route first to see if it works. Anyone know where I can get one of those silicone bronze "no walk" performance bushings that are a little longer and provide more support for the yoke?

A little more searching on the net and I found an article about Rockland Standard Gear out of New York that rebuilds T-56 transmissions and also sells those performance "No Walk" tailhousing bushings that almost twice as long as the OEM bushing. They tell me that no after installation machining is required. I got me one and will let you all know how it fits.