HybridZ

Whats involved in replacing a spun bearing?

Guest Mateo

I found a 7mgte with all sorts of mods like arp studs, metal head gasket, and some little things for 900 for the whole car. There is one downside and that is it what sounds like a spun bearing. What is involved and how much do you think it would cost to replace it?

Depends on whether it's a rod or main bearing. If it's a rod bearing then the rod end can be resized, if it's a main then the bearing seat(s) need to be measured and then machined if out of spec, then an oversized bearing is used. The crank also must be checked to see how badly damaged it is and either ground and polished or replaced.

To do all this basically means a full tear down so you might as well plan on doing a full rebuild while you have it torn apart.

How much of the car do you plan to use? $900.00 for a hinky engine seems kinda high, especially one that will not be cheap to rebuild.

Wheelman

If I'm understanding this right, if its a crankshaft bearing, they can also add material to the crankshaft and then machine it down to size. I once bought a 240z from a lady who was selling it for her son who was out of town. All the told me was it didn't run. It did run though, for 5 minutes, then the motor siezed. 1 cylinder had the bearings put in backwards and got no oil. How they knew that, I don't know, but it really messed up the crank, con-rod and piston.

The machine shop repaired the crank for me with the same size bearings. Only cost $20 too! (but they screwed up, they meant to quote me $200)

What is involved and how much do you think it would cost to replace it?

Disassembly of the engine, careful reassembly as per normal engine building techniques including a new set of bearings (not expensive on a relative scale) and maybe a little machine work for the crank. Ever built an engine before? If you have then you should know what is involved.

Be careful though, they might have mis-diagnosed the problem, they are not experts, and if they spun a bearing they probably didn't take care of the engine which led to the spun bearing. Another thing to consider, not to mention the shavings in the oil which would follow a spun bearing and could cause antoher failure down the road.