HybridZ

The CAS was the problem........hmmmmm

big-phil

I put a complete turbo setup on my n/a motor along with computer and wireharness.

It seemed to run good for a day or so, then it started sputtering and missing. I checked the injector plugs, spark plugs, wires, distributor, rotor, unplugged the computer spayed cleaner and pluged it back in.

Then I put a timing light on to check timing and found what I thought was the problem.

The timing light was flickering, it was not sparking on every motor rotation.

I thought that the CAS must control when the plug fires?? So I thought there must be something wrong with it.

My CAS is on the block, but I also have the 83 distributor with the CAS inside, but don't have the drive shaft for it. So like anybody who wants there stuff fixed now I drilled out the splined bottom so it would fit on my n/a oil shaft.....badda boom-badda bing it fit, it started, and it don't miss a lick.

Boost it up.....................

Yea, I just took the bottom pin out, removed the ring thing with the splines drilled it out and it went on. The 81 has a slot for the oil pump shaft, and the 83 only has one side of that slot there, with splines. the slot is still offset like the others so I just knew it would work! Now I think I'm ready for that z31 ecu. HOOT HOOT...wooowa. Hey the z31 can manage up to 14 psi right?

Now I think I'm ready for that z31 ecu. HOOT HOOT...wooowa. Hey the z31 can manage up to 14 psi right?

I think I ran about 12psi on a z31 ecu, but that's kinda playing with fire I think. To do it safely you can go one of two routes..

1. Upgrade the injectors (which also requires re-tuning the ecu) AND get a intercooler.

or...

2. Get a alky injection setup like the one I posted about, it's alot cheaper. The alky spray will cool the air charge AND spike the fuel mixture to richen it up under boost. I ran 15psi no problem on a stock 84zxt ecu with stock injectors and no intercooler.

Oh, and if you are gonna run that much boost I think you'll need a blow off valve too.. otherwise the backpressure could damage your turbo.

Thanks for all your help GrayZee, I'm trying to find some posts that will tell me how to set the timing. I thought you just put the light to it, but from i've been reading I think I have to set the motor to tdc then turn it back so the ignighter is??????????????? can you direct me to a link or explain what I have to do?