HybridZ

Sr20DET[S14] in a 280zx-is it worth it

Guest ruddy280zx

Guest ruddy280zx

I was wondering what it would take, drivetrain wise, to put an SR20 in a 280zx. And also, wolud it be better to use like a 240z instead, if so what are the advantages or disadvantages. I'd also like to know if there are any coil overs or struts, those that have the springs and shocks, in one pacage.

You might try the search button first. Im not rying to be rude but I know this has been covered before. Maybe not exactly a 280zx. The drivetrain is not the only thing that you will have to change to get that motor in. I am currently working on swaping it into a 240z. You will need a custom driveshaft. Motors mounts cant be bought at NAPA either. There are several guys on this site that might be able to get you some mounts. You can find adjustable coilovers all over. Try this http://www.autocarparts.com/part/408/310 or http://www.arizonazcar.com/strassy.html. Be prepared to get out your wallet for the second one.

As for 280zx vs. 240z it is all up to you. I chose the 240 just because I think it has cleaner lines and is lighter. Plus that motor looks badass in that engine bay. It also seems to make for a fun ride as well. This hardly scratches the surface but do some searching and you will find what you are looking for.

That is going to be the biggest thing with them is weight. I weighed a full trim 240Z 71 vintage with aftermarket ac, in with a half a tank of gas at 2250lbs.

The 82 ZXT I have now weighs in at 2750 with full interior, 1/4 tank of gas, light weight wheels, ac system removed no spare tire.

Thats 500 lbs alone, not to mention you could make the 240 weigh in at about 2000 lbs. Id say 240Z all the way.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Dorifto

I've tossed around this idea for a while now, for my '82 slicktop 2+2. I'm still torn between an RB20DET [cheaper to buy] and an S14-spec SR20DET, though.

It will be easy to mount the engine and trans, and a custom driveshaft is easy to get. I plan on something a little more unconventional in my Z though. :D I want to run a full S13 rear suspension subframe [including S13 diff], and S13 strut assemblies up front, maybe even using the S13 power-assist steering rack. I might be able to use the S13 or S14 driveshaft as well, since my car is a few inches longer than a 2-seater, depending on where the engine sits.

Then I plan on drifting it. :D I know, I'm crazy.

But back to your original question, "Is it worth it?", it only matters what you want. Personally, I hate the thought of putting a 4-cylinder in an inline-6's place, but that hasn't stopped me from considering it. The SR is a very well-balanced engine, in terms of performance. I say, go for it. Then when I do mine, I can learn from your swap. :D

-Dave-O

Something else that had just crossed my mind though is that the 240SX that most swap this engine into is basically the same weight as the ZX, so I cant see why it wouldnt work, concidering there are some very fast 240SX's around .

Guest 81na ZX
It will be easy to mount the engine and trans, and a custom driveshaft is easy to get. I plan on something a little more unconventional in my Z though. :D I want to run a full S13 rear suspension subframe [including S13 diff'], and S13 strut assemblies up front, maybe even using the S13 power-assist steering rack.

Thats not that crazy. A friend of mine put a CA18DET, a pulsar manual rack, sentra spindles, s13 suspension and a-arms in a 70 510 :D

I guess this is a question for someone that has done this before but what would be involved in swapping the suspension from say an s13 to a Z? I know that it must be a very involved swap, just curious to see if anyone has done this before. Not only would the sr20 make the car extremely fast, I think the suspension would make one heck of a good handling car. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

I guess this is a question for someone that has done this before but what would be involved in swapping the suspension from say an s13 to a Z? I know that it must be a very involved swap, just curious to see if anyone has done this before. Not only would the sr20 make the car extremely fast, I think the suspension would make one heck of a good handling car. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Get with MAICHOR and ask him....

Terry