HybridZ

Stock 95 LT1 VS Stock ZZ4

I might be comparing apples to oranges but does anyone have reliable information on the HP output to both the stock 95LT1 and the ZZ4 engines. I can’t seem to find (might not exist) information on the LT1 as a bone stock engine as compared to the ZZ4 crate engine. I know the specs for each but they are not equivalent. Any help would be most appreciated – Happy Turkey Day To All!

Danno74Z

Tere are basically three main variants of LT1: The Impala, Camaro and Corvette.

The Impala/Caprice/buick/Caddy were all iron headed and had ~260 RWHP. The Camaro was aluminum headed and had ~285 RWHP. Finally the Corvette had 300 RWHP higher mainly because of better intrake and exhaust.

Here is a good sitre for some LT1 information LT1 rebuild

LT1's are getting reasonable now and with harness and electronic overdrive make a nice transplant combination.

Good luck

Thanks for the info about the LT1. I'm interested in the 95 LT1 from a Camaro - CI block with Alum. head version compaired to the ZZ4 engine. Can't seem to find anything that can say which engine is more powerful - stock to stock output. I not sure but I belive the ZZ4 used the L98 alum. head. Likewise the LT1 had better heads but used a milder cam then the ZZ4. Probably a wash when it's all said and done

Danno74Z

If I were you I would consider the 385 fast burn engine over the ZZ4. Only another 30 HP over the ZZ4, but better heads. Add a cam and roller rockers and you get 430 HP.

http://www.sdpc2000.com/catalog/1578/products/2598/Fast-Burn-385-w-LT4-Hot-Cam-Upgrade-High-Performance-Series-Street-and-Strip-Engine.htm

In my opinion, the big differnce between the two engines will be price. Pull a used LT1 and you get a complete, fuel injected engine and tranny combo for well under 2 grand. A complete ZZ4 combo might run $7k for just the engine, and that will be carb'd and not FI.

http://www.sdpc2000.com/catalog/1578/SDPC-High-Performance-Series-Street-and-Strip-Engines.htm

Hi Pop N Wood,

I have a stock 95 LT1 & T56 out of a Camaro (w 25k) waiting to go into my Z. I've had the engine for about 4 years now in storage and it is time to move on the project. Too many other life issues but I won't get into that!

I was just curious on the power made between the two engines - stock to stock comparison. Naturally, with better heads, cams and $ the sky is the limit with either engine. As a side note, the LS1 engine produces about 50 hp more then the LT1 right from the start. It also is more expensive to purchase either from a Chevy dealer or the wreaking yard. From what I can tell through my readings the LS1 has better heads, cam, and intake then the LT1. If someone wanted to spend ~ $2K on the LT1 engine with say AFR195 heads and a CC cam, power levels surpass the stock LS1 and then you get into how much money you want to spend for additional HP and torque.

I have a friend who has a Z car with the ZZ4 and T56 combo in it and it is scary fast even here in CO at 5K feet. Power is down 20% because of the altitude but you can't do a whole lot about that.