HybridZ

simplified r180 to r200 swap?

Guest Del Ray Z

Guest Del Ray Z

I have read so many links my eyes are blurry! Maybe somebody can help me out here in a simplified and economical way. I have a 78z that came with an auto and obviously a r180 rear. since i have owned it from 1996 i have swapped in a 83 turbo motor, a 79 zx 5 speed tranny but left the rear stock(i know... mistake)well my diff blew to pieces, i would like to put an r200 in and have found many but have seen so many different advisories that i just don't what to do. the place that has the rears are pretty much complete (on the car) so whatever other parts i need are there for the taking so please guide me as to what to do in order to do this swap as easy as possible. Now lsd is not the most important thing at this point but getting this done as soon as possible is, being they are charging me storage fees as of 11-30-05. but i do have access to a 87 turbo lsd, so what do i have to do to make either of these things happen? Some people have said you need different half shafts some just yokes i don't know what to do so would some knowledgeable Z head help me out in detail! I would greatly appreciete it!!!!!!!!!

If you buy the 300 ZXT diff, and I think you should, then you'll need:

1. mustache bar from 280Z with R200

2. yoke (companion flange) from 280Z with R200

3. rear cover from 280Z or ZX with R200

4. side stub shafts from 280Z or ZX with R200 to bolt up to stock halfshafts

Obviously if you buy a diff from a 280Z with an R200, it has everything you need except the mustache bar. If you buy the 300ZX diff, then you need the above pieces.

Another option is to convert to CV shafts. If you do that, then you need the CVs from the 300ZX Turbo (has to be turbo) along with an adapter, and you no longer need #4. I got my adapters from http://www.modern-motorsports.com. There is also a way to convert to 280ZX Turbo (also has to be turbo) CV's as well. These aren't as strong as the later CV's. Modern Motorsports has those adapters as well.

You can also modify the rear transverse link to clear the finned cover of the 300ZXT rear cover. This requires a bit of fabrication, but is pretty easy and has the advantage of a larger sump and cooling fins to allow the diff to run cooler. If you do this then you don't need #3.

I don't think I missed anything, but if I did someone will pipe up I'm sure.

Guest Del Ray Z

thankz, that was alot quicker than I expected, being you know alot about this rear swap, another question is do all of these rears have the codes for what they are on the units, like r180, r200, etc, and how do i distinguish a r200 from a 280 zx from a 300zx? Is there a difference? Why do i see some rears say long and short what would that application be for? What do you think the 87 turbo rear should go for? Also would it be the same as the 88 turbo? This rear shop i have my car at really specializes in old muscle cars so this is JAPANESE to him, thats why i'm trying to make it as simple for him as possible.

There is a "shortnose" R200. I think they introduced that in the Z line when they went to the Z32 300ZX. It also got used in the later 240SXs. What years I'm not sure. If I were to guess I'd say 90 on the 300ZX was the transition year. I think it was a couple years earlier on the 240SX.

It is tough to distinguish a 280Z from 280ZX from 300ZX R200. There might be a way to do it by the part number on the housing. I really don't know. It's easy to recognize the car that you're pulling the diff from.

87-89 300ZX turbo diffs are commanding VERY high prices right now. I bought mine about 10 years ago for $325. You see them go on ebay today for $700 and more. Another option for LSD is to buy a LSD carrier from http://www.differentials.comor http://www.reiderracing.com. They have the "Power Brute" diff which is the Nissan clutch type diff for about $500. Swapping in the LSD is easy and has been discussed a bunch of times, so look that info up if you want to.

88 was an odd year and the 300ZX Turbo came in both the regular version and the SS version. The SS used an oddball viscous LSD which requires you to use the CV shafts that came with it. I think the MM outer CV adapter works with the VLSD CV shafts, but you might want to check with Ross at MM if that is true.

how do i distinguish a r200 from a 280 zx from a 300zx? Is there a difference? Why do i see some rears say long and short what would that application be for? What do you think the 87 turbo rear should go for? Also would it be the same as the 88 turbo?

Long list there.

The "Long" nose R200 looks alot like the 180 you have now, and it's by far the easier swap to do. The only real differeance between the diffs is the gear ratio.

The short nose is a pain to install and requires alot of fabrication. Unless your dropping a MONSTER motor there is no need. And if you go with a short nose get a R200 or R230 out of a Q45.

An 87-89 300ZX LSD (Clutch Type) should all go for the same price. Same Diff. The odd ball VLSD is another story. But I'd say just get the 300ZX LSD if you can.

Remember not to pay to much for a used LSD though. I've seen some STUPID prices on these. I just could not pay more than $400 for a used LSD when I could get an Open R200 for about $100, and then buy a NEW LSD for $500.

But Whatever