HybridZ

Lots of Spark, lots of fuel...car still not starting

slownrusty

Gang...just thought I would share this with you all, most of you know this but anyhoooo...

My ZXT ran flawlessly the other night after sitting for a couple of weeks, a little rough when I first started it almost like it running on 5cylinders but as it got warmer it ran wonderfully making a solid 10psi all night long.

I then drove it over to the GF's house, parked it in her garage overnight and the next morning went to fire it up to drive it to work and it spluttered for a minute and then died and refused to fire up....

So I took the afternoon off work.

- I tried a spare ECU - no change

- I checked for spark - lots of fire

- I checked every injector - they all were firing

- I then pulled the plugs, they were all black and soaking in gas

6+ hours later I determined that it was the cylinder head temp sensor, I changed it and put a fresh set of plugs in the car and BINGO...all was happy again.

Gotta love trouble shooting....

Yasin

The sesnor has a negative temperature coefficient. When the engine is cold you will measure somewhere in the 3000 ohm range at the sensor; when the engine is warm you will measure somewhere in the 300 ohm range. A disconnected or open connection due to corrosion will make the engine think it is ice cold and run very rich (infinite resistance). Resistors are available to tune in your fuel for specific reqirements if you don't want to play with the AFM. Of course an oxygen sensor, if equipped will try to cancel the effects.

PS congrats on the good find and repair.

Thanks guys....! I was happy that I was able to trouble-shoot it and find the culprit, thanks for the info on resistance and the engine thinking it is ice cold and hence the dumnping of gas....good stuff!

Drove the car 13miles to work this morning, ran like a champ!

Yasin