HybridZ

help?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I am an owner of a 74 260 and would like nothing more than to put a V8 in it, but need help figuring out where to start, where to buy stuff, all that good stuff. If anyone out their is willing to help me out, I would appreciate it.

Adam

Welcome aboard! First of all go to our "Links" page and click on "JTR V8 Conversions" You need to buy this book, either by them or try Summit at 1-800-230-3030, they maybe cheaper. When you get it, read it at least 3 times. This will clear up a lot of questions you might have.

Guest Anonymous

I agree, the JTR book is the bible for z swaps. It has almost every detail for a basic swap, Now, I almost guarntee you wont do a basic swap once you start. The guys in this forum will make you want more, By the time your done you will have much more car than you bargained for, ha ha ha. And the 260 is a good car to use. Welcome aboard and enjoy your project, keep us informed. Tony

------------------

74 260, early 350,K.B.pistons,edelbrock manifold,carb,and cam,202 cast iron heads.Let the transformation begin.

I am also a "Z "V8 newbie and just slightly ahead of you Adam. But all kidding aside, get that JTR book as the other guys recommend it will help tremendously. I'm going the LT1/T56 route. I don't know of any of the current members using the FI LT1 engine and if you're out there please let me know - I have a few questions. I have both engine and tranny but I'm starting with the rearend and currently putting in a LSD out of a 88' 300ZX. Once I have it installed I will move into redoing the suspension (very tired 260Z but structurally sound car) and following the recommendations on this board. This page is awesome!

Good luck.

Danno

Guest Anonymous

Glad to have you guys with us. If you have any questions..just ask away..we will try our best to get you the correct answer, or point you in the right direction. I am not running a lt1..but I am running the GM TPI setup from a L98. If you have any questions about FI, I have a pretty good knowledge of FI and will help out as much as possible.

Later guys

Darth Vader (building the Death Star)

Guest RyalC

Danno74Z - I am a little ahead of you but I too am putting an LT1/T56 into a Z. Mine is '73 240Z and I am putting in an LSD rear ('87 however), an ITS type suspension (coil-overs, Tokico 5-way struts, poly everything), custom brakes (Outlaw 4-piston calipers on 12.2" rotors), 5-lug conversion, and a full roll-cage. Not many changes to go with the engine/transmission wink.gif

The car is completly gutted, the front suspension is assembled, the LT1 engine is apart (I am installing the ported heads shortly - shooting for around 425 bhp.), and I have a LOOONG way to go in a short time wink.gif

RyalC,

I maybe jumping the gun a little but are you using an electronic speedo or mechanical one? Also, have you given any thought yet to the accessories and how they are mounted on the engine? And lastly, what year lt1 engine are you using (mine is a 95 w 2k on it - rare find) and who are you going to use to reprogram the computer? Thanks.

Danno74Z

A 95 with 2K on it?!?! Damn!

I am not using the LT1 but I am using the

T56 bolted up to a 383 stroker. Definitely get the JTR book, and check out my links page at

http://www.homestead.com/s30z/index.html

Try and get the latest edition of the book. There is next to little info on the T56. There is also a book on swapping in EFI engines, but it wasnt worth what I paid for it.

I have a 73 and the tranny Xmember that came with the JTR kit is too long for use with the T56. And I can't find my skip shift solenoid, see Mike Kelly Question.

Using electrical sppedo and tach, not mounted yet. Haltech E6K fuel injection.

Good luck!

PS you should say where you are, someone might be near you to help you along.

Owen

------------------

http://www.homestead.com/s30z/index.html

Guest Anonymous

I am in the process of a V-8 coversion. I will say that I have never seen the JTR book. I am using homemade motor mounts and tranny mounts....well, everything is homemade. There are two of us working on the car and we only mess with it when we can get time away from the family (it's a dad thing). I am on a budget with this car but I have a decent 350 and I am going automatic with a TH350. We basically are shooting from the hip but things are looking good right now.

Guest RyalC

Danno74Z,

I am using a 5" Autometer electronic speedometer. For the price I paid it (I got it through a group discount) it was less than making the modifications to the T56 for a mechanical connection. As for accessories, I won't have many wink.gif My car is more race than street and so will not have A/C or P/S. I plan on using the 1LE A/C "delete" pulley and probably a custom setup for deleting the P/S pulley. My engine is a '94 (Actually it and the transmission is out of my own '94 Z28 - I kept the engine/tranny and sold the body wink.gif. I could only wish for a mere 2K! Mine is closer to 70K. I am installing the shortblock as-is with the ported heads, etc. but plan on a rebuild perhaps next year. For the computer re-program I will either go with Shalin Patel (an East Coast guy who has done great work with a lot of the f-body cars in the Mid-Atlantic f-body club) or program my own with the LT1-editor. This is relatively new software that can do everything the "commercial re-programmers" do. You can find info at: http://www.mindspring.com/~amattei/editor/

RyalC

quote:

Originally posted by Danno74Z:

RyalC,

" www.

I maybe jumping the gun a little but are you using an electronic speedo or mechanical one? Also, have you given any thought yet to the accessories and how they are mounted on the engine? And lastly, what year lt1 engine are you using (mine is a 95 w 2k on it - rare find) and who are you going to use to reprogram the computer? Thanks.

Danno74Z