HybridZ

Replacing a 240Z Gas tank with an early 280Z gas tank

qwik240z

I did a search and I have read so much info on gas tanks, fuel cells, vent lines, vented caps, non vented caps, surge tanks,etc.

My problem is 2 fold.

#1: My car suffers from fuel starvation when it is lower then 1/4 tank while driving in a spirited manner (track days, freeway off ramps, mountain roads) I really don't want to add a surge tank.

#2: My garage stinks like gas. I have removed the stock evaporator tank and plugged all of the lines except for one. I kept one line at the top and ran it to the filler vent. I have a non-vented stock gas cap. I have not had any problems filling the tank.

Solution?

I have a gas tank from a 1975 280Z that was fuel injected.

I can install this tank but want to know if:

#1: Will I still have starvation problems?

#2:Will the garage still stink of Gas if I install this tank?

This tank has 4 fittings on it. two side by side fittings that I assume are the feed and return lines and a large and small fitting up near the top that I assume are vent lines?

Do I need to run a charcoal canister? Can I plug up the small vent line and run the other one to the filler neck vent?

I am hoping that this tank will fix both problems and not cause any new ones.

Thanks for the help!

I had similar problems with my lt-1 in the Z. I eventually went to a surge tank and second pump to feed it and the fuel starvation problems were solved. I tired a fuel cell with a sump and foam but on the track with less that half a tank, I had problems.

I don't know how the 280 tank is baffled but I would be supprised if it was baffled enough to solve you problem.

As for the fumes, if you vent the tank straight to the atmosphere, try to run the line higher than the tank with a loop in the line and then the opening back to the level or below the level of the tank. This helped with fumes from my cell but did not totally solve the problem.