HybridZ

Differential Question

JessZ

I just changed the drive-shaft and axle U-joints. My question here is can my differential be rebuilt? Are there kits to rebuild them? It sometimes makes a clunk sound when I let out the clutch. All when I have it on jacks and spin one wheel there feels to be some slop as the other side starts to spin. Thanks.

By the way it's the 1971 R180 running gear.

Search "diff clunk" and you should get 1000's of posts. Very common problem that usually has nothing to do with the diff internals. Could be loose driveshaft of halfshafts, or bad mustache bar bushings or broken diff strap, could even be worn axle splines. Tons of possibilities. That shop in Morro Bay that I mentioned in your other post would be able to pinpoint it for you...

To answer your question yes the diff can be rebuilt but it is so expensive to do that most people just swap in another used diff that's known to be good. I had a gear shop on Capitolio St rebuild mine and they screwed it up 3 times and it cost ~$300 I think. Used diff is usually $50 to $150 depending on size and ratio.