HybridZ

HELP! Nissan T5 upgraded driveshaft

Mike C

I am having (finally) a driveshaft built for my 240Z with an 83 280ZX Turbo T5. The yoke I have is junk so I need a new driveshaft. I've been talking to http://www.wencodriveshafts.com and we are having trouble finding a slip yoke.

I want to build a beefed up shaft using 1310 joints and the Neapco adaper on the R200. The T5 is some goofy 26 spline size that he cannot find a slip yoke for and the big joints. One option is to turn down the OD of the 26 spline slip yoke he does have/can get, and that may be what has to happen. I REALLY don't (won't) want to pull the trans and have the tailshaft bored for an oversize slip yoke bushing.

Anybody with more info on a custom driveline for a T5 in a first gen Z? Source or part #'s would rock! If I can get info tomorrow I can have the shaft by early next week.

Thanks for the help. I called driveline guy with the numbers. The one on the Newstar site was mis-represented at 26 splines, was 27. The Mopar one, the seal diameter is wrong. (Meaning that if won't fit the tailshaft bushing.) Anybody else? The jeep one seems the logical choice since so many T4/T5 were used in Jeeps. I find it hard to believe somebody would spec a different tailshaft bushing, but you never know!

This is a very odd size slip yoke. Why they didn't use a Ford or Jeep output spline I do not know. So....

I decided to go ahead and have the shaft built with the Nissan joint in the front and the Chevy/neapco setup in the back. If and when I do a V8 conversion, I'll just put a new yoke on the driveshaft at that time.

Im still trying to find the same thing that you are looking for, when my driveshaft joints finally snapped, and it IS going to be hard to find. I cant remember but if you goodle for slip yokes there is a place out in california, that specializies.

He told my one could be had depending on the seal size for 88 dollars or 148 dollars.

They are out there just hard to find, it is a 24 spline count based on 26. meaning 24 splines, and two opposite each other cut out.

You would think that since the Z31 tranny is numerically the same that it would work dont you. Think again, Its a 22 based on 24 spline count. Which to me is really dicky, I dont know why Nissan made a tranny for one year that you cant get anything for.

It does kind of piss you off as well because 400 for an aluminum driveshaft from MSA for any other transmission less the BW T-5, which is 800 I believe.

I was trying to find it on google but I cant seem to remember how I looked the company up.

Im sure if you search for custome driveshafts and slip yokes you may find it.

Good luck!! If you do find a suitable slip yoke, I would definetly be interested, being stranded at the track because your ujoints snapped leaves a bit to be desired.

Edit:

Well you had my mind working on this again so I started to search once again, and if they guy that I talked to is correct with what he is saying and understood me completely Ive found a source in florida that sells them for use with the 1310 ujoint for 52.60.

Now this is what got me, he says that this slip yoke is also used by Nissan still but in the 240sx!! The 24 based on 26 count!!

Imagine that, well here is the site and the number to contact him, person I spoke to was Mark.

http://www.pstds.com

Percision Shaft Technologies

1-888-575-7888

Mark

Open Mon-Thurs. 8am-5:30pm

The 26 spline is not the problem. The 1.375 seal size is. No other slip yoke that uses this spline uses this seal. You can get one for an A904 and have the OD machined down and use the 1310 u-joint, or you can have the tailshaft bored for an oversize bushing in order to use the Mopar slip yoke. As noted above, I just decided to use the Nissan yoke and they would ship today. If I ever have more than an NA 6 banger it may become an issue at which point I will revisit.

Well from what he says that is the one, you or I could call to verify this, I think the pirce is pretty cheap if it is the correct size. Ive been told by a couple places locally that they cant find the correct one.

I think they just dont care to look because the money they are making isnt that great.

Check out Trevor's links above and see the dimensions. The seal size is important because it matches the bushing in the tailshaft that supports the yoke. 1.375 is tiny compared to the other 26 spline yokes that use the 1310 joint. Once again, you can always reduce the OD of the Mopar yoke on a lathe, this seems to be the easiest way to get the large joint on the Nissan trans.

If I was serious about making big L series power, I'd look into gettin a Ford WC box and figureing out how to make the Nissan input shaft work. The SVO Mustang appears to have the same gear ratios as the L6 T5. I don't know if it is a WC box or not. Also not sure about the Ford case. Need to try and score me a Ford case to compare it to the Nissan one and if it will bolt to the removeable bellhousing.