HybridZ

Carbed LS2?

Guest speedmon

Guest speedmon

I thought you V8 guys might be interested in this......carbed LS2

I told my self I wouldn't even think of putting a V8 in my Z, but this has me thinking. I wonder how reliable that distributor is.....does anybody have any experience with this set-up?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/6-0-Liter-Aluminum-LS2-LS1-LS6-Corvette-500-HpEngine_W0QQitemZ8020142730QQcategoryZ33615QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Check out the truck in his other auction.

[benefit]

Computer = No

Technology = Recent

Power Ability = 500

Weight = Low

Harness = Not a big deal

Fun = Sooner

Tuning = Easier

[/benefit]

Of course there are many reasons not to do it but they involve more time and technology, sensors, etc. It's just simpler, not necessarily better or worse. KISS = Keep It Simple Stupid. Then your life is a heck of a lot easier. And when your O2 sensor gets fouled I'd like to see what you replace/check first. that's all.

[benefit]

Computer = No

Technology = Recent

Power Ability = 500

Weight = Low

Harness = Not a big deal

Fun = Sooner

Tuning = Easier

[/benefit]

Of course there are many reasons not to do it but they involve more time and technology' date=' sensors, etc. It's just simpler, not necessarily better or worse. KISS = Keep It Simple Stupid. Then your life is a heck of a lot easier. And when your O2 sensor gets fouled I'd like to see what you replace/check first. that's all.[/quote']

Hmm - No computer means no OBD II trouble shooting capability

Technology - FI much more recent that carb

Power ability - 400 stock which is more than just the carb will do.

Weight - carb with mechanical fuel pump would be lighter by 10-15 lbs?

Harness - buy it with it and the FI is no big deal either

Fun - sooner - ok

Tuning - easier -how's that? - FI pretty much comes tuned and never needs adjustment.

I guess my concept of KISS was to just get all the correct pieces from a salvaged car and put them all back together much the same way in the Z.

Then again - mine started life as an FI cara so that part of the transplant was pretty staright forward.

If the 02 sensor goes bad on mine I'll get a "check engine" light. At that point I'll hook a reader up to the OBDII port and get an error code that should point me right at the 02 sensor. How hard is that?

Guest speedmon

Where can I see the offering in JEGs? What is JEGs?

I think the principal benefit to the carb, would be less electronics...no PCMs, no sensors, bla bla bla.

And I think you can sqeeze more power out of a V-8 with a carb than with F/I. I don't know why, but I've seen numbers that show it.

If all you are doing is drag racing than I guess I see the attraction to a carb.

The real benifit of EFI is not max hoursepower at WOT but drivability. Reliable starting everytime in all weather conditions, optimum throttle reponce throughout the RPM range, better fuel economy, longer engine life because the motor is running much closer to a perfect AFR than any carb could hope and not washing the the cyclinder walls with a too rich mixture. Remember, with a carb you had better error on the too rich side or risk burning things up. And then there's that self tuning every second thing that was mentioned.

And yes, I personally know a guy with a V8Z that changed from a carb to EFI and his max hoursepower went down (slightly). But I don't see him swapping the carb back in anytime soon. AND, his car is primarily a dragger.

Do it if you must. I'll never go back(wards) to carbs.

... longer engine life because the motor is running much closer to a perfect AFR than any carb could hope and not washing the the cyclinder walls with a too rich mixture.

You know I read that some time ago and I wonder if that is really why engines seem to last so much longer today. Growing up in the Midwest in the 70's it was pretty rare to know someone who had a car with over 100K miles. Maybe it was just because people didn't commute the long distances they do now. That and the rust from the bad weather.

These days I know people who drove cheby's into the ground. When they were finally forced to get rid of their cars because everything was falling off of the body and interior, the engines were still going strong.

Sure is a hell of a lot easier to start a FI car in the cold than a carb'ed vehicle.

Back on topic, the OBD diagnostic codes are a mixed blessing. Yeah it is nice when the computer tells you there is something wrong with one of it's exotic sensors, but if it wasn't for the FI the engine would never have that sensor to go bad in the first place.

Guest speedmon

I think what I would be looking for is light, dependable, Bolt-in horsepower. I think I (my mechanic) could get a carb'ed version operational in within several days, but I can't imagine a PCM controlled LS6, in a month, not to mention the cost over and above the engine and trans.

Shoot, when I did heads and cam on my Z06, it took almost a month to get the tune correct....and I'm still tweaking it. LS1 edit, scanning software and computer stuff alone is like a 1000 bucks.

If someone had a kit that I could give my mechanic (and he's a good guy), I might up be for it.

What is JEGs, I did a search on JEGs.com and couldn't find a kit.

If someone had a kit that I could give my mechanic (and he's a good guy)' date=' I might up be for it.

[/quote']

"In your heart Fear is Hmmm? Underestimate the power of the dark side, never!"

Join us! and your tuning nightmare will end. Plus I can teach you to shoot flames from your tailpipe. :twisted: Try to do that with FI!

But seriously, FI is the way to go if you spend the time and money you'll have a lot of benefits. On a shoestring budjet... I'm on the fence about this issue because the repair cost of a FI engine just keeps going up because they gouge you left and right for those sensors, connectors etc.