HybridZ

TB CFM math questions.

2802NR

Hi everyone, New user here. I'm knee deep in the Intake manifold design process and am going through the formulas for proper throttle body size in relation to CFM requirments. I found some very good info at http://msefi.com/viewtopic.php?t=9731 and Im just looking for someone to double check my use of the forumla found there. PLEASE READ THE LINK. It explains all the formulas I use here. If any one else has used this method and find any thing wrong, please corect me.

I will be fabricating a dual-plenum design and using a dual bore throttle body so I figured this for half my displacement.

84.5cid * 7,000rpm / 2 = 295,750 cubic inches air per minute @ 100%VE

295,750 / 1728 = 171.15 cubic feet per minute

171.15 / 900 * 9.62 = 1.83 square inches

Now I'm unsure on this part, I am suplying 3 cylinders per throttle valve so should I figure an intake stroke 16.6% of the time or an intake stroke 50% of the time? I will be supplying #1,2,3 with one valve and #4,5,6 with one.

Just to get an Idea, I figured the rest for 50% with a -5% margin for blow back. (same as the example from msefi.com)

1.83 square in. /.45 = 4.07 square in.

Now to convert area to diameter:

Area = pi radius squared = 3.1416 r squared = .7854 diameter squared

4.07 / .7854 = 5.18 d squared

Square route of 5.18 = 2.28 diameter

Now convert inches to mm

2.28 * 25.4 = 58mm Throttle body per 3 cylinders.

Now I know My engine will never run 100% VE but I just needed a ball park figure.

All suggestions welcome and appreciated!

Curiously, if you figure the VE at 80%, you end up with a twin 46mm throttle body fromthose calculations. (58mmX80%=46mm)

Hmmm, what size were the stock SU's? 46mm?

I guess the engineers knew what they were doing.

BTW, putting twin stock throttle bodies on the SU manifolds is a very easy thing to do, just some angular milling on the bolt holes to let the SU studs fit the back of the T/B...

Thanks for the info about the SU manifolds. I have access to the equip. to make my own manifold so I am going to give it a try. I think I am going to use the dual 48mm??? TB off of an early TPI chevy. I will have an advantage over the SU manifolds though, Longer runners with a 1.5 degree taper.