HybridZ

Is this a blown headgasket? Opinions needed quick.

ive just had a pain in the *** from my radiator having the same kinda contamination in it. blown gasket in my car i know that for a fact. oil was leaking into the water galleys from a weird crack in the gasket and was making its way out between the block and head very slowly and also into the radiator.

the stuff in ur little cup looks exactly the same as mine! one day mine was the nice green of ethenal glycol (is taht what it is) and then the next day the car was overheating and all sorts of crap and the radiator water and overflow bottle were full of yummy looking brown weird smelling water.

Kind of a long shot but you may want to concider that someone tried a radiator fixit in a can or a treatment of some sort. I have looked at on of my neighbors cars about 2 years ago and it sounded the same and they tried several different things they found at the local autoparts store to patch the radiator, believe it or not including a few eggs. They patched the radiator with all this crap and it did stick leave enough crap in there to not allow the thermostat to fully close and kept the car running to cold. I helped them flush the system several times, change the thermostate and flush all the heater lines. It finally cleared up the radiator fluid and soon came the leak back in about a week. They finally bought a new radiator, flushed it again, and I have not heard anymore about the radiator water looking funny or the heater not working. This liquid looked like someone poured brown gravey into the radiator fluid and it would be in globs. Maybe you should check into radiator attempted patching. For head gaskets being blown you would notice a compression drop so you can test for that and chances are you would find traces of radiator fluid in the oil and coming out the exhaust as white smoke. Good luck.

Robert

well, not too long ago my boss told me somthing. He said the heater core is at the top of the cooling system, it is the last thing that coolant touches, that way if your low on coolant then it will keep the coolant near the block so it can still be cooled, so that way it won't crack it. So if your low on coolant, it can actually keep your heater from working all together.