HybridZ

she's running..!!!

trippintl0

Alright! My car is running with MSnS-Extra! Just got it working yesterday (dec.10). It's a 1980 280zx, with an 83 L28ET (stock) motor, stock rebuilt T3 turbo w/water cooled bearing housing, toyota supra 440cc injectors, 240sx throttle body, pallnet fuel rail, pallnet manifold stud kit, stock FPR, etc, etc.

I plan on running the motor at about 9 or 10psi, but it will be stock for a while. No intercooler, (at least yet) as I have already far exceeded my budget expectations.

The MegaSquirt + harness was from RS-autosport (I didn't build it myself, unfortunately). MS1, v3.0 board. MSnS-Extra version 024s13. I did it as Moby's sticky instructed. Thank you so much, Moby and everybody else who have paved the way for people like me.

Spark is handled by the VB921, but I might switch to the HEI module, because after running about 20 minutes it stops sparking, box feels very warm. I believe it's getting too hot, because if I let is sit for 5 minutes or so it will run again for a while. So first I'm going to try running a dedicated ground to the vb921, and possibly a small fan. I'm not sure if rs-autosport installed the 330 ohm resistor that is in everybody's vb921 diagrams, so if not i'll install that too (i have no idea if that will help anything or not). If none of that fixes it then i probably will just switch to the HEI.

Anyways it runs great and sounds unbelievable. (stock downpipe, no exhaust at all). I can't drive it yet because I still need a driveshaft and cv axles, but i can't wait. Many thanks to this forum because there is no way I could have even gotten this far by myself (this is the first car project i've ever done).

but I might switch to the HEI module, because after running about 20 minutes it stops sparking, box feels very warm.

Great to hear it is running. Did you try turning on dwell control and settings at

cranking = 6

running = 2.5

min = 1.5

It would be nice to be able to use the VB921 on the v3 boards.

yeah, i actually have the running dwell even lower, at 2.0 i think. Any lower than that and the engine seems to not run as well. I haven't had any more time to mess with it but when I do I'll post more.

One weird issue is that when I turn the car off (when the engine is running) the engine doesn't stop! The radio and everything else still turns off. When I turn the ignition on and off (without the engine running) the megasquirt turns on and off just fine. ??? Haven't had time to search for the answer yet, and it probably has something to do with my wiring (I ran lots of new wires, and a newer fuse box to replace the old glass fuses). So we'll see.