HybridZ

Air Ride Struts - Opinions

WOW, some of those setups seem insanely complex. Here are some interesting ideas, though it doesn't change the ride height but claims it can change spring rates. http://www.ride-rite.com/ then click Coil Rite, there is no specific application for the Z so it would also have to be a custom setup.

Also a claimed kit for the 280Z and ZX from Chassis Tech. I don't know about it though because aren't their differences in the suspension design between the Z and ZX's?

*update* I just got off the phone with Chassis Tech, the claim their kit would be a direct bolt on except the rear where some welding would be required. I asked about a 240Z which they refer to as a ZX and claimed it would work for those too. It seems very very odd and not very good that they don't have everything properly referred too. Some one else want to give them a call and double check? Heres the kit I was talking about. http://www.airbagit-store.com/product.asp?returnURL=application_list.asp&ID=90802

The Number is 1-480-668-5448

Tyson

tfreer85, the systems on Ride-Rite are whats known as helper springs, and are mainly used to support excess loads when towing or carrying heavy weights. It changes the spring rates by bloating between the coils and reducing movement, I think you would have alot of trouble adapting their coil spring style support bag because the z/zx's use a strut style system with the shaft going directly up the center - where you would normally put the airbag.

If you wanted to do something like that you would need a donut style airbag (hole in center) - if you find one LET ME KNOW cause I have been searching high and low for one!

The Sport-Rite system looks like they have would be the easiest/cheapest one to adapt on the front without changing shocks / struts / control arms too much, just drilling, bolting and welding. On the rear you could probably get a strut that is of similar dimensions and make a mount to offset any difference between the z/zx rear strut and the air strut you've decided to use.

Some of the things you would need to lookout for are the size of the airbag compared to the outside diameter of your current spring, and the clearance inside the strut tower, and balancing your F+R bag pressures to get the right ride height although i think you can get some kind of proportioning valve (spelling?) to help with that.

Just some more idea's?