HybridZ

Which DMM?

SuperKid

Alright, my folks have asked me what I want for Christmas, and one thing I want is a DMM. But, there are alot of DMMs out there. One I will most likely get is a Craftsman model because they're relatively inexpensive, fairly good quality, and Sears is only a 15min. drive from my house. So, I would like some guidence and which one I should ask for. Here is a link to Sear's DMM page. It will mostly be used for automotive applications (volts, resistance, continuity, etc.). It will have to cost $100 or less. Thanks for the help!

for a high quality, high end, DMM all the electricians i know swear by fluke. i noticed sears sells fluke products, so there shouldn't be any kind of avalibilty issue. fluke also has a really nice compair feature on their webpage here. from looking at that, it seems the 78 or 88V would be great for the automotive repair person and do-it-yourselfer. looking at them, i really dont' see any great advantage of one over the other.

personally, i tend to use this $5 one i borrowed from my brother that he got from harbor freight. works well enough for me to get my LS1 running. and if i drop it, step on it or otherwise kill it, i can get annother one for like $5. 'course, those flukes do have a lifetime warranty...

my $.02,

-gabe

Fluke. I have a cheapie from HF that is just okay, and a Craftsman with integral IR temp, which is also just okay. They both work, but my next one will be a Fluke. They respond faster, and seem to be laid out better (how they work that is).

They are a little costly though. If you want something that works okay, but cheaper, I can recommend the Craftsman.

Joshua

I also recommend Fluke... with Radioshack being an acceptable option. I was a saleman at Radioshack for a few years, and was pretty realistic about the merits of what we sold. I based an awful lot of my personal opinion upon what knowledgeable people told me after buying and using something.... and I had very few complaints about the mid to high priced DMM's I sold... other than Fluke having slightly better ergonomics, in general.