HybridZ

rear end help

Guest nick_25

Guest nick_25

hey as you can probably tell, i am new, been doing a lot of research for about 2 months on here, i have recently acquired a 73 240Z that is in really good condition, the only rust it has anywhere is the floor pans.

well, anyway, i was intially going to go with a tubbed rear end with a for 9" rear end and a TH400 tranny, , i guess what my question is, how hard is it to do that and would it be better to go with something of a more normal rear end, or would it be possiable to go with the ford 9" without tubbing it and shortening it

also just for helping the answer out, the motor i am putting in there is a 400SBC that will be built with all fordged and alum. parts, i am looking to get about 600HP out of it so the tranny and rear end will have to be able to hold that all day long if ya know what i'm saying

OK, if you are going to tub it narrow the rear housing. Go 4 link with the rear suspension. My rear housing is 24 1/2" axel flange to flange is 30". I run a 15X14 rim with 3 1/2" bs and a 32X14.5w hoosier slick with no fitment problems. Forget about the th400 and put a glide in it.

I dont think there are any nine inch rearends that are narrow enough without having to shorten.

Im going with a 8.8 with 33 spline axles 4:56 gears and a spool. Mine is a full tube frame from the driverseat back. 4 link is the was to go. or you can go with the ladder bar setup from jegs.

Oh yea you might try the search button. i searched ladder bars and 4 link and backhalve and got like 10 Plus pages of info.

I think it was mikeKz that did the jegs ladder bars.... that is a good option to and requires minumal cutting.

Herews a link to his car

http://members.tripod.com/SnowSurfer/mikekz1.html

Guest nick_25

well were are going to be shorting it if we went that route

i was going to go with a glide but heard they took a long time to shift, and i would like to drag it but don't want it built strickly for drag racing, want to be able to have fun with it to and do a crusie night kinda thing

and about the search button, its broke.....:-P :-P :-P ...just kidding, but i did used it, just didn't know about the 4link and other terms, was trying "ford 9" and other configurations with no luck