HybridZ

vg30e help here

Silent

not in a z car, but same series, so someone might be able to help

my daily driver, a 95 pathfinder se 4x4 jobbie box on wheels thing. is having an issue.

when it's cold it runs great, but once it gets up to operating temp or close, it spits, spudders and at thingy below half throttle or 3k rpms

throwing no codes.

options on what it could be

intake manifold gasket leaks

o2 sensor

mas air

injectors.

this is my guess, i could be way off, and it could be a bad connection somewhere. dunno.

any help would be great

not likely to be the maf as if that was causing an issue, the ecu is supposed to keep the engine from revving past roughly 2.5k to 3k rpm.

another thing that could cause running issues is the coolant temperature sensor. there should be two of them, one for the gauge and one for the ecu. the one for the ecu would be the causing the problems. it should have two contacts whereas the gauge sensor will have one.

for it to be acting the way it does, it either must be running too rich, too lean, or a cylinder isn't firing.

does black smoke come out at all?

if so, its running rich and can be due to too much fuel, not enough air, an ignition misfire, or an injector putting in too much fuel.

no black smoke?

if its running lean it can be due to not enough fuel, too much air, or an injector isn't putting in enough fuel.

when was the last time the distributor cap, rotor, and wires have been replaced?

does it sound like the engine is missing (lopy idle, doesn't sound smooth)?

since it has issues only when it gets warm the first thing i'd check would probably be the coolant temperature sensor since that is highly affected by engine temp. once that's checked out we can go from there if it doesn't go. hopefully some other guys chime in with their ideas too though so we can try tracing the exact problem.

im not sure what it's doing exactly. if it's running lean or rich. it does try and bog down, and stuff of thatnature. i may strap it to a dyno this weekend and load test it at the certain rpm range it does it at, and see if it's running lean or rich.

my guess was the injectors. but i can check the temp sensor and see if it's being goofy or not, or if it's a loose connection.

on the pathy board they were clueless. so i figured id try the z board

MT

this is Bryan H off maxima.org BTW

:)

Ahhh, hey man. Small world... wide web eh? :lol:

If its the injectors you can start by pulling the spark plug wires off. The crappy part is, you need the engine running to tell.

Start the engine, then pull one spark plug wire and listen for changes in the way the engine runs. If rpm drops then put the spark plug wire back and check another. If its an injector, or even a plug/wire, when you pull one of the wires and the engine doesn't change at all you've found where the problem is.

Have to be careful though. Those things will shock the hell out of you if the wires have any bad spots.

Ahhh' date=' hey man. Small world... wide web eh? :lol:

If its the injectors you can start by pulling the spark plug wires off. The crappy part is, you need the engine running to tell.

Start the engine, then pull one spark plug wire and listen for changes in the way the engine runs. If rpm drops then put the spark plug wire back and check another. If its an injector, or even a plug/wire, when you pull one of the wires and the engine doesn't change at all you've found where the problem is.

Have to be careful though. Those things will shock the hell out of you if the wires have any bad spots.[/quote']

yea i know all about being shocked all to hell

got shocked by the msd 6al and blaster 2 coil on my 280z. NOT FUN!!

i know it has a small manifold leak because i pressure tested the system to 15 psi, and heard a small one{thank god for the DIY dsm boost leak tester} it sounded like it was one one of the front injectors, OR could be the drivers side manifold. dunno

i'll check the spark plug injector thingy this weekend and see what i find. but at idle it's fine. other then a slight lope from the after market cams it seems ok.

dunno

i'll update tomorrow if i find anything. if all else fails i have access to three spare pathys and two motors {complete} for parts

yep small world.

never knew you had a z. but now i do!

a vacuum leak could definitely cause some issues but unless it was a pretty big one i wouldn't think it would be causing that big of a problem. although, if it were leaking around an injector those gaskets are big enough that it could cause a pretty big vacuum leak if it was pretty bad. does that VG still have side feed injectors or top feed?

• 4 weeks later...

sorry man, i totally missed your last reply. yeah, i did some checking around it looks like the pathy injectors are actually side feed. makes sense being newer.

but anyways, the side feed injectors do have a higher chance of leaking compared to top feed.

a couple options to check for vacuum leaks (besides my smoking idea... damn i need to quit lol) would be to use either propane or one of those keyboard cleaners. the safer route would be the cleaner stuff. just blow some of it around the intake manifold area and if there is a vacuum leak it will either rev up if using propane or bog if using the cleaner.

if its not a vacuum leak then my guess would be an injector(s). now that i think about it, my 91 maxima gxe bogs every once in a while and in an attempt to simulate the bog on my 90 i ran it rich then lean using the s-afc. it did the same thing the 91 did when i ran it lean so that could be the problem. as most of us know, nissan's injectors aren't the greatest so it wouldn't be an odd thing for an injector to be causing the problem.