HybridZ

Finding TDC?

george.bryant

Ok, the worst that could happen so far has and the timing chain slipped a tooth, then the wedge cam lose so i took it out cause there wasnt much else i could do. Then the chain kinda fell a bit and yeah....

How do I get the front cover off etc guys?

I'll go get my radiator out now and hopefully when i get back someone will have given my nice front cover uninstallation instructions

remove radiator, fan, waterpump, front oilpan bolts, front cover to head bolts, all the front cover bolts, harmonic balancer, oil pump, distributor, alternator, air pump, and prolly half a dozen more things depending on the amount of factory crap still in your engine compartment... you will prolly need to loosen serveral rows of the oilpan bolts to get enough clearance to get the front cover off.

Just how did the "chain skip a tooth".... ???... there is no amount of trying or wishing that will correct the problem now... you have to pull the the entire timing system and front cover apart....

You might as well install a new timing set, oil pump, drive gear, water pump, and harmonic balancer, and do yourself a favor and buy the chain tensioner that has the keeper to "keep" this from happening in the future.... again MSA is the source... I would purchase a proper chain tool from them if I were in this position.

Guest 73Turbo240z

just like i said in your other thread, it was probally gonna fall, and you shoulda just skipped to this method in the 1st place...

you will need to order a new front timing cover gasket set while your at it...

remove all the spark plugs so you are not working against the cylinder pressure. Place your finger over the #1 spark plug hole. Have someone turn the motor with socket wrench. On the exhaust stroke as the piston comes up you will not feel any pressure, but on the compression stroke as the piston comes up it will be pushing air past your finger. As far as finding precisely TDC, it doesn't make much difference if you are just changing the head gasket. Just mark the chain and cam gear.

You will need an entire timing gasket set... it's just a few short of being an engine rebuild set...... I would order a new oilpan gasket and valve cover gasket if it is not part of the kit....

Reassembling the timing cover with the existing oilpan gasket really depends on how carefully you remove the cover in the first place...

The upper suface of the cover contacts the head gasket... so be careful there too...

I can assure you that an old engine is going to be more problematic... old gaskets do not survive removal... Typically older engines may warrant a rebuild using original parts... cleaning, honing, and new rings and bearings can work wonders for an old mill on the cheap... typical headwork is less than $300 using original parts with new seals and springs.

Keep in mind that you may need to replace water hoses and fuel lines.. for instance the fuel rail is often in the way and must be removed.