HybridZ

LT1/t56 on the way

I just bought an lt1 with ecu and complete wiring harness as well as a 4l60e already attached to it(sold as a combo for a good deal) plus the motor has many upgrades on it already as well

Then I also got a t56 tranny from ebay as well, out of a wrecked 96 z28 with only 64k miles, hopefully its in good shape.

I will then sell the 4l60e to make up some of the costs.

What do I need to do next? Clutch? Hydrolics system? Pedals? Speed sensors? Drive shaft?

It will go into my newly purchases 1971 240z and I will get a r200 rear end

What do I do about driveshaft? Pedals? Speed sensor? Flywheel? Clutch?

I want to get a light flywheel. Do I just order one for an lt1/t56 as I would if i had a camaro?

Also...my Z came with a sbc in it already mounted scarab style, sortof(actually just brackets welded to stock motor mount) I will cut those off I think and get the JTR mounts so that my tranny lines up with my shifter cuttout...

Will the JTR kit be ALL I need to mount an lt1/t56 combo????

Depending on your engine year, you'll have to get either your ECU programmed or a PROM burned for a manual transmission. The connector for the auto and manual tranny are different. You'll need to get one for a manual tranny, I got mine from GM, I remember it being nearly $30.... bastards. TPI Parts on ebay has a lot of connectors that fit LT1's, I got a new '93 PROM from them.

The 94 block and 96 tranny/bellhousing mate just fine. (the LSx tranny is different than the LTx's) Your computer can be flashed with an M6 program. You will need the M6 harness (or connectors and wire it yourself) to have the VSS (vehicle speed sensor), reverse lights and reverse lockout work properly. As far as the clutch, depends on your power level. If you are going to be doing minor performance mods, a stock flywheel/clutch is fine. If you plan on alot of performance mods, upgrade the clutch. I am running the Mcleod street twin, but with the steel flywheel, since that is what I already had in my Z28 that I took the combo out of. The aluminum flywheel would probably be a better choice, but bend over.... it is $$$. To answer your question, yes, order as if in a 94 - 97 F-body. I used the stock f-body slave cyl and hose, mated to a Tildon MC. I had to have a fitting put on the stock hose to mate to the MC though. The stock fitting is an O-ring and roll pin, the Tildon has an adaptor to an -3AN fitting.

I used the stock 280Z pedals (all 3) and you will need a custom DS. Don't bother with the DS until you have the engine/tranny mounted and the rear mounted. I wouldn't guess or take someone else's measurements.

Get into the SEARCH feature and READ. These questions have all been discussed. JTR and T-56 work fine.

4e_1.JPG

will something like this work? Its out of a 96 z28 lt1 t56

Seems like a complete kit that would work right? After that all I need is a pedal? What kind of pedal should i get/ My 240z came originally with a manual, but the last owner converted to a sbc 327 with 3 speed auto, and took it out...

The slave and hose are fine. The master cyl you may be able to fabricate something to make it work, but I ditched mine for the Tildon. Like I said earlier, you need a different fitting than is used on that hose, so cut the MC end off and go to a hydraulic line shop and have them press the right fitting on the end of your line. I actually used a 12" piece of hard line off of the MC and then fitted that to the modded braided line to the slave. IMO Get an aftermarket MC and find a stock pedal since the car originally came with one.

I might have the pedals from a 95 Z-28 in the garage, but you'd have to fab something to make them work.... I'd check junk yards or check the various Z list classifieds for a stock pedal.

The slave and hose are fine. The master cyl you may be able to fabricate something to make it work' date=' but I ditched mine for the Tildon. Like I said earlier, you need a different fitting than is used on that hose, so cut the MC end off and go to a hydraulic line shop and have them press the right fitting on the end of your line. I actually used a 12" piece of hard line off of the MC and then fitted that to the modded braided line to the slave. IMO Get an aftermarket MC and find a stock pedal since the car originally came with one.

I might have the pedals from a 95 Z-28 in the garage, but you'd have to fab something to make them work.... I'd check junk yards or check the various Z list classifieds for a stock pedal.[/quote']

so im looking for a tildon for a 240z? or a camaro? and why does the tildon fit better? I like the oem style of the setup i posted...if its just a mounting difference, im sure i can fab something up to make it work, as long as i can hook it up to my pedal.

Why is the tildon better?

Ive been reading up on this, seems like using an aftermarket master and adapting to a stock slave is a headache with the lines...why not just use the whole stock assembly, and somehow just make the master fit with a bit of fabrication? Is the only difference the mounting bracket is angled??

Here's a thread that details installing a Tilton universal 7/8" Master Cylinder.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=90585

good stuff

BUT, cutting and drilling and tapping plastic just sounds scary, i know plastic is so brittle and soft, i hate to think i have to thread into it, i never like threading into plastic, lol...i always **** it up or overtighten it...wtf does gm use plastic slaves?? STUPID

And why do they not have a bleed screw, how do you bleed your clutch???? I heard the t5 tranny slaves have a bleed valve, will it work???

You don't need a bleed screw to eliminate the air from the line if you follow the procedure outlined in the thread listed by Bartman. Mike described the procedure in good detail and it works, I used it when I installed my T5 slave because it's easier than trying use the bleed screw from under the car.

As for the drilling and tapping the slave, many people have done it with good success. I did it and threw in a little JB weld for good measure and have had no problems. If you really don't want to do that then search the site for a thread that mentions an adapter sold by Summit that allows you to connect stainless braided line to a GM slave.

Use the search function, there is a huge amount of info on this site that is going to answer most if not all your questions.

Wheelman