HybridZ

I got a '87 z31 LSD (w/ some questions)

Phyxius

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would jump all over it. Let us know what comes of it. I am really not wanting to go solid axle or swap to the r230 as I just did the whole Modern Motorsports rear swap...damnit!

Mike

Okay... Here is a picture of what I've drawn. You can see the part of the side gear and the friction disk. The lines that you can see on the outside circle are just a function of the rendering resolution and not of the actual part shape. It is a perfect circle.

fricdisk1.JPG

I want in for sure, just let me know. I should also buy extra's for the future as well. I am sure I will break more with the abuse factor of drag racing!

Mike

I'm trying to see about making a prototype to make sure my dimensions are correct, or if anyone has a disk laying around that they could send me, that would be great too. Once I'm convinced that my part will fit and do its job, then I'll post in the group buy forum about an actual order. It will most likely take about 5-6 weeks from order to parts. I'm also a little iffy about putting up all the money for this and maybe not being able to sell them all. Is requesting money in advance okay? I've never done a group buy like this before.

I don't know if I need any discs or plates yet, since I don't have my diff out of the car yet, however I would be interested in getting some for future use since it sounds like these clutch LSD components are becoming harder and harder to come by, so it might be a good idea to have some on hand just in case.

I don't know if I need any discs or plates yet, since I don't have my diff out of the car yet, however I would be interested in getting some for future use since it sounds like these clutch LSD components are becoming harder and harder to come by, so it might be a good idea to have some on hand just in case.

The LSD is still available new for about $500 sold under the name Power Brute by differentials.com and reiderracing.com, but the parts aren't available apparently. Kinda screwy, but that's the way it is.

So it's not like the diff is hard to come by, just the clutches.

The crappy thing that happened to us is when the manufacturer started using only ONE clutch disk. The tabs on that ONE disk have to keep the 2, 3, 4, 500 hp from spinning one tire vs both. It really is a lot to ask. I'm sure they just did it to cut costs, but it really sucks.

So it's not like the diff is hard to come by, just the clutches.

That is what I meant, that if the clutch discs and plates are harder to find then it might be worth getting some now from Phyxius, whether I need them or not, for future rebuilds.:)

That is what I meant, that if the clutch discs and plates are harder to find then it might be worth getting some now from Phyxius, whether I need them or not, for future rebuilds.:)

I'm not sure if the R180 and R200 clutches are the same. I'm fairly certain the ones from the H190 are VERY similar, but I have no idea about the R180.

According to Gordon's page the H190 and R200 clutches are the same. I think that means the R190 clutches would also be the same. The R160 and R180 have different part numbers, so I think it is safe to assume they are smaller. Everything has to fit inside the ring gear, and the bigger the clutches and gears are the better, so it's not too surprising that the R160 and R180 stuff would be different.

http://www.gordon-glasgow.org/lsd5.asp

I just got off the phone with the performance nissan place that shire240 listed...

It seems that they can still get the clutch disks and at 15$ each, it seems like a pretty good deal. I'm not really sure exactly what is going on now. He suggested that maybe the other places I'd called were trying to get them through Nissan North America while they get them through Nissan Motor Sports... So this entire thing may have been a trivial pursuit.

Although the prospect of making friction disks and plates at 1.6 mm means we could fit at least 14 clutches in addition to the spring plates that are already there. I could also probably match Nissan's price. What do you guys think?

I'd call Nissan Motorsports too and verify. If its true that they're still available then it's a tough call, because you can still make a case for the thinner ones. Eliminate the spacers and replace with 2 1.6mm disks. I'd still be down, but probably just for 4 disks in that case, and no plates.

Doh...you guys are right. I wasn't thinking in regards to R200 verses R180 and the difference in size between the two. Well, hopefully I won't need any clutches when I tear into my diff and check things over and test the breakaway. I guess if I do need any, then hopefully Nissan Motorsports or that Nissan Performance Parts place still can get them.

jmortensen....did you build a testing appartus similar to what Gordon talks about on his website for testing the breakaway when you tested yours?

I'd call Nissan Motorsports too and verify. If its true that they're still available then it's a tough call, because you can still make a case for the thinner ones. Eliminate the spacers and replace with 2 1.6mm disks. I'd still be down, but probably just for 4 disks in that case, and no plates.

I've been trying to find a contact number with no success. It would seem to me that any dealer would have access to nismo parts though...