HybridZ

Tips or tricks to rebuilding a turbo?

Sparky

In order to save a wee bit of cash I bought a rebuild kit from Turbonetics, funny thing is though, they just sent me a box of loose parts with zero instructions. I have the turbo apart, and have found where the parts in the kit go (well, all but the rubber grommet thing!? where does that go?!) and am in the process of cleaning all the baked on gunk off the wheels and housings. is there anything I should do while its apart? should the bearing surfaces be roughed up in anyway? I do think they should but you never know, I've been wrong before :)

basically any advice would be much appreciated.

also, does anyone have an exploded diagram of the old Rajay turbos?

thanks for the tips. I tried to clean it all up by just using some parts cleaner and soft brush but the turbine wheel was totally caked so I ended up blasting the parts. amazing how much better that works :) I also found where that other piece went, so today it should go back together. I really only need it to last a few thousand miles before I upgrade...hopefully it will be leak free for those miles.