HybridZ

V8 Conversion questions, MSA kit, roll cage and more...

Alright I used to be a straight 6 purist for my 78 280, but after seeing the video of the v8 Z tearing up asphault with ease, im thinking about a v8 for a project this fall.

Heres my questions...

#1. Is the v8 conversion kit from MSA any good? I would like around 350hp+ out of the v8, I would also like to keep the weight as far away from the nose as possible, and I dont want the motor mounts snapping loose or anything.

#2. I am worried about twisting my body with the added tourque, but this spring I am welding in a 8 point roll cage from jeggs. I am also adding a top swaybar in the rear, and possibly in the front if it can fit with a v8. Will this be enough structural support to prevent a relatively rust free Z from twisting?

#3. Will the 83Zx 5 speed work with the v8 conversion? If not what is the recommended bang for the buck transmission to use? I dont have a carlift avalible so the least ammount of modification nessesary the better, also as always cheaper is better as long as it works just as well.

#4. I already have very tight suspension, long rides hurt after a while, small potholes knock teeth loose, large potholes are avoided at all costs (i havent hit one yet). Will a good suspension setup on my current Z be enough for the v8? I have KONI adjustable struts, stiff springs, lowered with camber correction.

#5. Where is the best place to buy a nice looking drop-in 350, fuel injection and a supercharger would be nice. What should I watch for when buying a crate engine? What should I stay away from?

Thanks for all your help, Possibly next summer my Z will be on the darkside life of worn out U-joints and snapped halfshafts.

ok, i'm no expert, but i believe the experts are all busy working smile.gif so i'll answer what i can:

2: i haven't heard any problems with this. however, this may have to do with the really monstrous z's already having new framerails welded in, so who knows.

3: not if you don't intend to clean shrapnel off the road at the first stoplight you hit smile.gif that t5 was designed for a straigh six, not a v8, and with a supercharger as you mentioned below... if you were going for a mild v8, i'd say the wct5 from an 80's f-body would do the trick; however, the t56 from newer f-bodies and all vipers is much stronger, plus it has a second overdrive smile.gif it's not too cheap, but speed costs, etc.

4: you've got adjustable struts... can't you set them a notch softer? with a v8 ride should be the same (sbc will only weigh something like 140lbs more if you go all iron, and the weight is further back, so think in terms of a passenger at all times, i guess).

5: well, there's a thread a bit down from this about t56's and ls1/lt1's to go... not real cheap, but should have everything you want other than the blower. and hybridz has a whole forum about those... smile.gif

#1 Use the JTR mount kit, period. Nothing against the MSA kit, but I know what I know and if you ask everyone here what they used to swap the engine, they will 99% tell you to go with the JTR kit... There is a reason for that.

#2 With a cage and strut tower braces, you should be fine with your car and the mentioned items in #4. You shouldn't need to do anything else.

#3 Nope, the ZX 5speed won't take the abuse of the torque, but I also don't think the input shaft is the right length or spline, but I could be wrong. However, I still say don't use it. Go with a Tremec or T5 from a GM F Body that was equiped with a V8, so you will get the WCT5 unit that will live under that HP load.

#5 ZZ4 crate motor from GM performance parts... 355HP and 405ft.# of torque. Aluminum heads and intake included, intake to oil pan, not a bad package at all. If FI is in the works, look at the GM RamJet package instead for about $4000. You get complete injection, wiring, and all the necessary extras, including the SDS type programable unit.

PS...You don't need a SC if your goal is 350HP...

#6 Get in on the group purchase for the CV Axle adapters and contact Zbarn for a set of 280ZXT CV axles for $100 and your U-joint snap days will not be a reality.

Hope this helps, and I'm glad to see you changed your mind on the bolt in cage fiasco!

Mike

------------------

http://hometown.aol.com/dat74z/myhomepage/auto.html

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk

[This message has been edited by Mikelly (edited February 07, 2001).]

Guest Fast Frog

tyson:

Q1) I don't know a lot about the MSA conv kit aside that it used to be very pricy. Most of us use the JTR kit. JTR kit is around $350 and is basically brackets, mounts, speedo cable, differential pilot and the all important JTR manual which covers almost all your conversion questions.

Q2) don't worry about chassis twisting unless your going to do a lot of road racing. Strut bars that bolt across the front and rear strut towers should suffice. I've got a 383 and until recently, I had a Paxton which ran 5-6lbs of boost making 400-425HP. I didn't have twisting problems-but I only raced it a couple of times. 350 HP shouldn't be a problem.

Q3) I don't think a ZX will match up to a Chevy block. A couple of members of this forum have tried or least asked for advice about a ZX 5 speed. I don't think the ZX 5 spd has that high a torque rating. I would go with a World Class Camaro T-5. It's rated @ 300+ ft lbs of torque and 350HP shouldn't hurt it unless you purposely try to tear it up. I run a WC T-5 with my set up and with 400+HP, it has given me no trouble. But again, I don't race it and I don't spd shift it when taking on hondahs and mustangs.

Q4) I think your current suspension is adequate unless you're going to do road racing or ralleying. I've got a Quikor kit on mine with a beefier rear sway bar and it takes cornering quite well.

Q5) I don't know to much about "crate" engines but I think a good engine builder can build you what you want for $1000 to $1500. I spec'd mine and the engine builder built it, it cost me $2200, but mine is a 383 and some addition performance components. Some folks look for an oem TPI fuel injection engine setup from a late model Vette or Camaro from a salvage yd and drop it right in. Some (like me)have aftermarket TPI sys like Accel's DFI. Supercharger? Stay away from Paxton. The consensis here is go with a Procharger if you can fab it in with the engine in the JTR setback position. You'd have to modify the mounting bracket at the very least.

Good luck!! smile.gif

Rick