HybridZ

HELP around Rochester NY??

Z-Gad

Another Ebay story...

I won a couple of rust free complete doors from a seller in Rochester 12/10/05.

The seller, for various reasons, was unable to give me a total including shipping for some time. I just received a response tonight with a quote for $500 to ship the 2 doors via the UPS store. I figure that that must be the most expensive method you could possibly think of to ship the doors... Anyway, I was hoping someone in the Rochester area could assist me by picking them up from the seller and dropping them off at a local freight company or perhaps Greyhound bus station to ship. I would be willing to compensate someone for their time in order to save a little change.

Thanks al,

Mike Gadwaw

Orlando, Fl

the stores add an automatic 40% built in surcharge for using their services instead of going directly to ups.

most kinkos have a fed ex in em and are a lot cheaper than the stores are.

few years back, had an MSA areo II kit shipped to san jose from texas.

ups was around 300. seller was nice enough to take em to grey hound, was i think 150 bucks for shipping.

shipper will need to box em ( when they have room, grey hound puts em in the cargo areas of buses headed in your direction. handlers try to be careful, but they are not in the cargo business. things may get placed on top of em, or they may get tossed in there by one uncaring employee used to handling duffle bags ) in sturdy cardboard and pad them well. i would suggest a wood ribbed box. build a wooden frame around the doors and slip that into the box. make a box out of a discarded refrig or washing machine box.

with grey hound, seller takes to bus depot, they weigh, set the price.

when is delivered, grey hound calls you and you go to bus station and pick em up.

this is why they are cheaper ( a bunch !!! ). they don't deliver to your house. they ship when they have room on the bus ( they usually have room on every bus ). they don't have a 3 day delivery warranty. my shipment was delayed when items were transferred at a bus stop in OK. and no one bought a ticket to las vega. was on the next bus 18 hours later.

grey hound has an electronic tracking system that works very well.

if you don't want to ship greyhound.

ask shipper if he or a friend knows anyone that works in any type of business that ships items out. a friend of mine through work, owns a telecom business, he ships and receives product daily.

he uses fed ex and gets prices almost as cheap as greyhound. i pay him and he ships out what ever i send. saves person on other end a bunch of money.

again, the ups stores in mini malls bump up the shipping price, this is how they stay alive.

if you can't find someone that is traveling cross country, see if you can get shipper to take doors to a real ups center or a fed ex. otherwise, greyhound is the best option.

good luck with this.