HybridZ

SW-performance speedo help

Silent

alrighty, im getting set up with some gauges from stewart warner {im being different, sue me} but im looking for help on the speedo side of it. which sender to use, what modifications im going to have to do, i saw a post about the autometer modifications, but im not sure how it would cross over to stewart warner stuff.

they do have speed sensors

self powered ac output, two wire with 0.104" tip

hall effect, 8 pulse, requires 12v, with 0.187" tip

ford quick disconnect adapter for 114878 hall effect sender

0.104" square drive tip

0.187 drive tang

.203 drive tang

all of these are from the sw catalog,

the tranny?

zx 5 spd

help a lil guy out!!!!

All the info here on Autometer should transfer to the SW gauges directly. I was told by a dealer that the head engineer at Autometer moved to SW and took the engineering with him.

Good choice. I have been eyeing the SW dials too. I've been quiet though. Didn't want everybody to be doing the samething I was doing. Selfish, huh?

Call SW's tech line. That would be the best source for the correct information.

Are you using the NA ZX tranny? Because if so I believe the stock speedo cable just bolts up. I remember when I got my Autometer about 10 years ago I was wondering how hard it was going to be but it just plugged right onto the stock speedo cable. I would ASSume that the SW is the same.

All the info here on Autometer should transfer to the SW gauges directly. I was told by a dealer that the head engineer at Autometer moved to SW and took the engineering with him.

Good choice. I have been eyeing the SW dials too. I've been quiet though. Didn't want everybody to be doing the samething I was doing. Selfish' date=' huh?

Call SW's tech line. That would be the best source for the correct information.[/quote']

well, you're going to hate me then

i talked with said engineer directly at a sales meeting at my work. and he is sending me things to beta test on my z, show off, blah blah.

it is true that he did move to sw. im in the same boat, im tired of seeing the same thing over and over again, but the bad news is they don't offer a mechanical speedo. so this is why im stuck at getting my gauges, because of this freakin part i need to figure out on which one to get.

j. yep, using the stock zx tranny {5 spd jobbie}

thinking of going with the hall effect and seeing where it gets me. since it's free. im not going to lose anything by trying it.

may so some experimenting with it, and see what i can use and whati can't to convert the cable to electronic and get it to read right.

since i can't seem to find anyone who has done this,which is really wierd in general.

yep, im runnin a 5spd zx tranny with the cable on it, but im going to be runnin an electronic speedo, so that kills the idea of a mechanical speedo deal.

BRAIN STORM!!!!

what about taking the cable off the back of the speedo itself {stocker} and cutting it down, then taking a sw, or autometer piece {since they arethe same thing anyways} and attaching it to the back of the cable tha was just cut, and using that to go into the hall effect speedo dealy for the spedometer?

call me crazy, but i can't see why this wouldn't work, instead of going down to the tranny itself, and since i really can't get under my car, this would make life easier.