HybridZ

rear axle help

Guest Risin' Outlaw

Guest Risin' Outlaw

Ok I'm new to the wonderful word of Z's just picked u a '75 280, and I'm planing on stuffing my 550HP small block chevy 406 into it with a T350 trans full manual V.B. and a 3800 stall. What do you think I need to do to the rear end to help it live under all of the abuse I will give it? I've been thinking about back-halfing it and installing a ford 9" soild axle into it but I would rather keep the IRS because I want her to handle. Any Ideas? thx

Guest Risin' Outlaw

Can you point me the right way I've been looking and finding a lot of info how to go from a r180 to a r200 but having trouble finding if a r200 will hold up and nothing about soild axle swaps.

I just searched "r200 r230" and came up with this: http://forums.hybridz.org/search.php?searchid=296901. You'll have to dig through those threads a little bit, and spend some time reading. TONS of info in there. Nobody is going to have a yes or no type of answer for you. You can nurse an R180 around with 500 hp if you're gentle enough with it. Realistically though, it's going to be R200 or R230 with that kind of hp.