HybridZ

LAtch help

PapaCreech

Hello everyone

this is going ot sound quite . . . . noobish but well that b/c ive never owned a 280 before jsut late 80 early 90 series 300s, so i guess you could say " Stoooopid noob " and it wouldnt b to far from the truth

i cant find the hatch release latch in the driving compartment, please tell me there is one as soem one popped the lock on this one so that would b a real easy way to fix it as i just want to FG over the whole in the back and touch up paint , feel free to send me a private message or email!

Freakycreechies@yahoo.coom

Thanks!

It wouldn't be easy to do since they changed the design of the latch on later models--if you look at a 300ZX, the actual latch assembly is mounted in the rear fascia, and the hatch simply has the rod that catches in the latch--it's the exact opposite on the early Z cars.

You would have to run the cable up thru the edge of the actual hatch in order to get it to actuate the plunger

I'd given some thought to using a solenoid (similar to door poppers) but am now leaning towards just welding the hatch on, since I don't plan on ever using that space for storage

You can find many of different types of these selenoids in late model cars at a junkyard. It should cost you $5 or less for it. You should also grap a relay for it as well. Mounting the selenoid can be challenging but it's not impossible to do. I have install door release selenoids and they are both installed similarly. Good luck

maybe I'm the slow one here..... 280Z = hatch button visible from outside looking at hatch..... 280ZX hatch button not visible... ? ? ?

I only owned a '81 280zx for about a month (pulled the motor), but if I remember correctly, you have to use the key to open it. The keyhole is right above the license plate. If the shocks are good, the hatch will popup when you turn the key, otherwise, you have to turn the key and lift the hatch.