HybridZ

V8 turbo cam options

dr_hunt

I had bought the comp cams blower/Turbo grind cam .575 lift 255/262 duration at .050 and the new endurex solid roller lifters for the twin turbo motor. Took the rotating assembly to Edwards today to have it balanced and have the AFR 227 heads flat milled for a good sealing surface. The AFR heads have roller springs, 220lb on the seat and about 580lb open, good for .670 lift along with titanium retainers, which is their standard spring and optional retainer package. The Comp roller cam I got is on a cast iron core, more of a street blower/turbo grind. The spring package that it calls for has significantly less seat pressure and over the nose pressure 155lb seat 419lb open. Hanns was grumbling over the my unfair use of excessive cam, so since I am illegal anyway I have a decision to make.

I was told that the extra spring pressure would cause the cam to fail (duh), so I have the choice of Option A; ordering new springs $159 plus retainers $100, and locks $?? for a total of probably $300. Option B ordering custom ground billet solid roller for $325 and keeping current spring/retainer setup. When talking to Comp would be a 244/254 dur at .050 and a .615/.630 lift roller on a 114 LSA. This is supposed to be tailored more for the airflow characteristics of the AFR heads vs. stock GM heads is what I'm told so I really need less duration to achieve the same results. That is a little more lift, less duration which I would think would help the bottom end. My choice is the custom roller, what do you all think Hanns included?

so I really need less duration to achieve the same results. That is a little more lift, less duration which I would think would help the bottom end. My choice is the custom roller, what do you all think Hanns included?

Yes, I think the custom roller is a better choice. It still has more lift and duration than mine...but it's closer.

Looks like you're making good progress... can't wait to hear about the first drive.

Hanns

Yeah Hanns, I'm finally putting the engine together. Still need alot though. I need roller rockers, pushrods, MSD6BTW, Fuel pump and boost sensitive regulator, replumb the turbo's from manifolds to turbo to raise them for valve cover clearance, plumb the oil pan for drain back lines, gauges, custom converter. Still looks like it's $2K from a reality though, so it'll be a couple of months before that gets done.

I was told by my last builder to let the head airflow pick the cam. Go custom grind. Wondering if the CC custom billit cam has the option for a cast gear for traditional distributor gear use? I didn't like the idea of pulling the distributor on a regular basis to change out the bronze. Isky had this option when I orderded my solid roller...I though all SOLID roller cams were billit?? Enjoy hearing the progress. As in Finding Nemo: "Dude, you got some serious thrill issues!"

Well, I'm living life like there is no tomorrow, that is for sure, but corzette is fronting me all his big bucks cause he can only spend and can't use, then when I die, he gets it all back, right Terry?!!!!. That Terry, you guys ought to see what he's got planned for you all! Yeah, comp cam help guys took awhile to pick the cam, I think they have software to make cam recommendations. I bet it took 15 minutes for them to recommend something. I'm going to try the polymer timing gear or perhaps I should order the cam with cast gear. Decisions.

I'm picking up an aluminum timing cover, MSD 6 BTM, coil, rockers, etc. this week. Then I'll measure for pushrods and get some of those. I'll have to order the converter next week. I'm thinking 4K stall or 3500 stall.

I'm going to try the polymer timing gear or perhaps I should order the cam with cast gear.

I bought the polymer gear for my distributor but have not yet run the engine to tell you if it is, in fact, better than the bronze gear.

I'll have to order the converter next week. I'm thinking 4K stall or 3500 stall.

I have a 3500-3800 converter that seems to work well. Just make sure you get front and rear anti-balooning plates on it.

Hanns