HybridZ

my l28 is dead help

Guest deadendyouth

Guest deadendyouth

I just found out htat my L28 for my 76' 280z 2+2 is completely shot and can not be rebuilt. I have someone that specializes on work on z cars and he said it would be $2000 for a rebuild L28 and i was wondering what some other alternatives to the L28 that would give me better preformance and be more reliable for a cheaper price. Thanks

It's not really possible to give you that kind of advice without knowing your situation. How shot is "completely" shot? Did you chew a piston? Suck a valve? Did you lose the crank? Rod bearings? Is it puking oil all over the place? In any case, your best bet is most likely to just replace the motor you have with a lower mileage one from the same series, as that will have a whole lot more power than what you have now. :wink:

But if your block is saveable, you have some options. Depending on where you live, and your local smog laws, this may be the perfect time to do a little bit of souping up. A slightly hotter cam, higher compression pistons and a set of performance headers won't set you back TOO much more than rebuilding it as stock, and will still be very reliable. If cash is an issue though, then definately just swap in a replacement L28.

Get on GOOGLE and type in Craigs list or Craig's list and when there....double click on the area closet to FRANKLIN go to auto parts and search for "DATSUN" ... and look for an engine.....place yourself a wanted ad on Craig's List... If I had $2000 for one engine..............I could buy 3 running Z cars.

It's http://www.craigslist.org and here in the bay area, there are TONS of datsuns available.

If you just want it running, you can just have the cylindar bored out and a new one pressed in, but I rather try to find another engine. You never know what else could be wrong when an engine has been sitting ther like that for that long.