HybridZ

Help please...How to run MS w/ mac laptop?

Guest 280ZForce

Guest 280ZForce

sorry i'm new to all of this and never used MS yet...but how can i setup to use my mac w/ MS in my Z? i've searched the boards through and through, maybe looking wrong places...but i cant find anything.

i'm running MegaSquirt I board - v2.2 PCB.

a step by step would be nice cuz no1 seems to know how to do this that i've asked and this will be my 1st time working w/ MS.

I'm gonna attempt to load a different map w/ some help cuz the map that was loaded for me has me running way to rich.

but i need a solution to get MS to work on my mac lap top first.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanx in advance.

- Justin

you could try running virtualPC through a USB-Serial adapter? I am a mac user as well (15" G4 powerbook) and have been researching the idea for use with my Haltech install but have not come up with any definitive answers.... thus far in my search I have only heard a few people say they can do it, but will not answer my emails when I ask for basic info...

Guest 280ZForce
go to http://www.msefi.com/ and click on MegaTunix

that is the software used for macs.

ok' date=' i've dl'd the software (Got it from here) from there earlier today, and unzipped the files and have them in a file folder, but i see no way of launching the program/installing it. i couldnt get the exe file to dl properly, but the tar.gz is what i was able to dl, but cant get files to open.

Looks like you downloaded the Windows version. This version is precompiled and ready to run.

You can only download the source code for Unix versions. Megatunix was originally designed for Unix, and since Mac went OS-X (Unix), It can now be compiled for OS-X. The problem is that you need to install a compiler and compile it. GNU C is free, but yuo need to have some basic programming skills to compile it. I would suggest trying to find some who has already compiled it and can send you the binaries.

• 2 weeks later...

Try Darwine

http://darwine.opendarwin.org/

Its a version of WINE (Windows Is Not an Emulator) for OS-X, I used to use it on my Linux system to run Win98 apps about 5 years ago, and it worked then, as long as MS Tuning software doesnt use any external API's it shouldnt be a problem. MS uses a basic DB9 connector and i would be surprised if that guys at Darwine havent coded that in.

• 2 months later...

Ok guys here it is, all the info is out there already but I know its scattered and confusing.

It's way more of a pain in the *** than we Mac users have come to expect, so bear with me.

You need these:

-Latest MegaTunix software for Unix/Linux/Mac OS X (Thats the .tar.gz file)-

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=128471

-Latest version of Fink (8.0)-

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/12077

-Latest Fink Commander-

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/15256

- Latest Apple X11; This comes on your OS X CD also if you run the installer, choose to install only specific things, and uncheck everything and check X11.

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/apple/x11formacosx.html

- Latest Apple XCode Developer Tools - A big file with a lot more stuff than we really need but we'll install it all anyways to be safe. Sorry to those of you with slow connections but this is how I have done it on all my computers. The main point of this is to give you the compilers z-ya mentioned earlier. If you have a 'pro' machine (PowerMac or PowerBook - or MacBook Pro now) this CD likely came with your computer.

http://developer.apple.com/tools/download/

Fink is a program that makes it easy to download and install Unix software in OS X. Fink is made to run in the command line, Fink Commander is a regular program that makes fink easier to use basically.

1) Install the XCode Tools.

2) Install X11.

3) Mount the Fink disk image and run the installer.

Now there is a good chance that when you run the installer it will give you an error message saying something about adding a line to your PATH, and you will be really confused and scared. This is normal. In my experience this is a lie and it should work fine after a restart. But if things dont work for people later on down the road this could well be why so post up and we'll investigate farther.

4) So restart your computer.

5) For Fink Commander, all you need to do is open the disk image and drag the program into your Applications folder.

6) Open Fink Commander.

These are the programs MegaTunix needs to install and run, which we use Fink to install. These programs are themselves dependent on other programs which may also need to be installed with Fink.

From the MegaTunix README file:

MegaTunix requires the following libraries (and their dependancies);

* GTK-2.4 (and the dev package)

- GTK+ depends on pango, fontconfig, freetype2, pango, glib and atk

* Gtkglext-1.x (and the dev package)

- gtkglext depends on gtk+ and glib

* Xorg or XFree86 development libraries (xorg-devel or XF86-devel)

- libglade-2.0 (and dev package)

- libglade depends on libxml-2.x and gtk+

Start with the ones with a * before them. So type in GTK in the search field at the top right and find version 2.4 or newer. Right click on it in the list (or hold down control and click on it if you only have one button) and select Source->Install. Once this is done, do a search for each of its dependent packages. So in this case start by typing in Pango and making sure it installed that as well. If not, install this from source as well.

Some things will be installed on the computer out of the box. XFree86 is installed with X11.

Once you have searched for each of these items and they are installed you can move on.

7) Open up the MegaTunix .tar.gz file you downloaded earlier. Put the MegaTunix folder that it spits out into your Home folder.

8) Open the Terminal. This is located in your Applications/Utilities folder.

Before doing anything, type in 'ls' . This should list the files in your home folder, which should include the megatunix-x.x.x folder. Now type in 'cd megatunix-0.7.11/' . This will move you into that folder and you can now type 'ls' again and list its contents.

9) Once you are in this folder, we should be ready at this point to do the first part of the install which is to run the configuration. So now type './configure' . If this does its thing without an error, you can move on. If it gives an error, it is probably telling you that it is missing one of the programs it needs, so go back to Fink and install this program and try it again.

9) Now type 'make' . This should do a bunch more stuff. Again if this gives an error it'll probably be because of missing software so go back and install it.

10) Type in 'sudo make install' and it will ask for your password. If this works than we now have a file that we can actually click on!!

11) In a normal Finder window open up your Home folder, open the megatunix folder, and open the 'src' folder inside that. In there somewhere you should find the MegaTunix program. Double click on this and it should open - THIS MAY TAKE A MINUTE to open but don't panic and try to force quit and try again or anything like that - I did that quite a few times. It should open, and will open instantly after this first time.

I suggest putting this megatunix file into your Dock, and you're all set.

Oh after this you need to connect it to the MS of course. I suggest using the Keyspan "USA19HS" serial adapter. If you are using this, first install the drivers it comes with, then you want to click on the Communications tab, type '/dev/cu.KeySerial1' into the Comms Device field and press the return key. It should say the connection worked in the feedback window at the bottom of the screen even if you only have the adapter plugged in. Now click on the General tab and press "interrogate ECU capabilities" and you should be away!

Hope this makes it easy for you guys,

Gavin

z.jpg