HybridZ

Quick clutch/flywheel question

jmark06

I know some of this has been discussed and I've read a lot but I just wanted to ask. Somehow I seem to have LOST my turbo flywheel during engine rebuild, seems hard to do right? Anyway I'm hoping for about 300hp when I finish all the mods I want to do. Should I go to the junkyard and grab another turbo or 2+2 flywheel and have it resurfaced or just get an aluminum one. I won't do a lot of racing mostly just want to be able to beat all the cars on the street around town. So buy another flywheel and have resurfaced ~$100 or just go aluminum ~$300. Is the $200 difference worth it for just driving hard around town and the occasional weekend race. Also I'm planning to get a SPEC clutch. Is it worth the extra money for the stage 2+, it has carbon-kevlar material as apposed to just kevlar for the stage 2. Will it wear better? Thanks for your input.

I'm Running A Old Maxima Flywheel Which Is The Same Size As A N/a Flywheel But Several Pounds Lighter. I Have A Kevlar Clutch Disc I Got From My Brother-in-law.no Slipping But That Light Flywheel Makes The Car Jump When The Boost Comes On . You Have To Be Very Careful With The Gas To Drive Normal. This Is Only In The First Two Gears, You Have No Noticeable Difference In The Higher Gears.a Stock Flywheel Will Smoth Out The Transition When The Boost Comes On.

Guest bastaad525
I know some of this has been discussed and I've read a lot but I just wanted to ask. Somehow I seem to have LOST my turbo flywheel during engine rebuild, seems hard to do right? Anyway I'm hoping for about 300hp when I finish all the mods I want to do. Should I go to the junkyard and grab another turbo or 2+2 flywheel and have it resurfaced or just get an aluminum one. I won't do a lot of racing mostly just want to be able to beat all the cars on the street around town. So buy another flywheel and have resurfaced ~$100 or just go aluminum ~$300. Is the $200 difference worth it for just driving hard around town and the occasional weekend race. Also I'm planning to get a SPEC clutch. Is it worth the extra money for the stage 2+, it has carbon-kevlar material as apposed to just kevlar for the stage 2. Will it wear better? Thanks for your input.

Take a stock turbo flywheel ($50-75), get it lightened at a machine shop if you really want it lightened, they can bring them down to around 16lbs ($50-75), get a stock clutch disc and Daikin heavy duty pressure plate (about $130).

I'm currently making ~240 hp to the wheels, so figure somewhere around 280 hp at the crank, BUT I also put a massive 303 ftlbs of torque to the wheels so approximately 350 ftlbs at the crank. I'm running that exact same setup. Some guys had me convinced there was no way a stock clutch disc could take that power... they had me go and buy the ACT six puck metallic clutch. I HATED that setup. Then Jmortensen from these boards told me to try this setup and I did and I can't thank him enough. The stock disc and heavy duty pressure plate are so smooth and easy to drive, the pedal pressure is only slightly harder than stock, and so far it's had NO problem putting up with the high amount of torque and decent amount of HP. Even with many launches heavily slipping the clutch to build boost off the line it has never once given me any trouble. So save some money and keep your car as enjoyable and easy to drive as a stock car.

Guest bastaad525

Well I'm not 100% sure what part they gave me :confused2 !! heh... I went to this clutch place and was just discussing it with them and told them I had the ACT and hated it, but needed something stronger than stock. He told me I could use the pressure plate from a Datsun/Nissan pickup truck though he didn't say what model or year it was from, just said it was about twice as strong as the stock Z one. It wasn't actually a 'performance part' though, just a regular datsun part, hence the less-than-$150 price.

The place I bought it from is called All Valley Clutch, and the guy I dealt with was named Thomas. Their number is 818-994-3860. Their in Van Nuys CA, I dunno if they ship but I would assume so. Just tell him exactly what you're using it for... dunno if he'd still remember since this was over a year ago I bought mine.

But yeah the whole set was Daikin brand and is working perfectly for me.

• 1 month later...