HybridZ

Name that turbo!

violacleff

Ok so I went to the shop with a micrometer and here's what I got 73.66mm exducer 63.3mm inducer. There are 11 blades on the wheel. The turbine housing was a 1.15 AR but with a T3 flange split in the center.

What kind of turbo is this? Is this worth keeping? And is there a T3 flanged housing that will fit. Keep in mind that it was recently rebuilt last month, so it's in good condition.

One thing I realized is that I measured on the turbine side of the wheel. Is the wheel the same on the compressor side or is that totally different. If so, that really sucks cause I had to drive an hour to where my turbo is to measure it.

Guess I'll just find a housing that fits and deal with it, whatever it is.

You won't be able to buy a turbine housing that'll fit that turbine wheel. You would have to have a machine shop (turbo shop) lathe the housing to fit that wheel.

I would be incline to know the compressor wheel size as well, it might not be even worth the money to use that turbo if the compressor wheel is too small or ineffcient. Measuring the wheel is easy, just take the housing and measure the base and the tip to tip on the wheel. 6 blade is more preferable than 7 blade imo. newer design.

I just talked with turbnetics as well as another machine shop, and the general concesus was that it was a bad idea to try and machine a T3 housing to fit a P-trim wheel. The machine shop said it could be done with a lot of work. Looking at $280 for the housing and machining. Is this still a good route to go?

If I were to just put the .58 T4 housing on it, how much do you think I could sell the turbo? I'm thinking if I could get a few hundred for it, it would be worth it for me to just buy a new turbo (T04R).

I don't know why Ptrim in T housing is so bad, I've done it and I know others have done this before. Garrett still sales Stage V wheel in the t3 housing which is not much smaller than Ptrim.

Anyhow if you are going to different route, I would suggest 61mm GT35R wheel which is a gt40 wheel. Good power and not laggy which you use it with a stage V wheel. 600HP posible on race gas.

I was told that there wouldn't be much material left in the housing. I just didn't know if it would be worth it to invest $280 in the turbo, or just put it together with the T4 housing and sell it. I'm not really sure what a used turbo of this kind, newly rebuilt would sell for. If I couldn't get that much, then maybe its worth just putting more money into this one and using it.