HybridZ

sunroof replacement

chopstic

I wouldn't bother with it. Its just another thing to go wrong. With the one you have, where is it leaking from?

If its from the roof to the frame of the window then use car weather sealer.

Make sure the points that you are laying it down are CLEAN.

If its from the frame to the window then use silicone.

Open the sun roof and then CLEAN the rear that you are laying it down (not the window) and use a wire brush to rough it up a little so the silicone has something to hold on to. Close the window and wait till it drys. Use a knife to score the extra silicone and remove.

Remember Prep work is everything.

Actually the sunroof can be nice if it is done right. I put the largest power sun roof possible in mine and the way the headliner is I could almost hide a role cage along the roof line and wrap the cloth around it. The good thing is that the roof sills or frame are the structure of the roof and the center does very little to speak of. If you want to fix what you have and make it work then I would suggest finding out how people fixed the Del Sol tops because they seemed to use some black silicon that would not stick to glass or release from glass easily and repaired the air and water leaks on most of those cars and they had problems with most of those cars. If you want to do a power sun roof, I could suggest a company that I used in California that did really good workI believe they are called CSA but I will have to look again. They use a sun roof made in Holland that works really nice and includes a role up shade that fits really nice in it. Ours has been in the car about 2 to 2.5 years now and it works great. The only thing is if you drive with it open and you are going fairly quick 110 and up, maybe at 100 also, you get wind cavitation which you feel in your ears by the pressure changes, so I will have to find a wind shade. If you want to go the same route drop me a line and I'll get you the information. Also they work deals if you use cash there.

Good luck

Robert

Im just looking for something to replace it with. theres a couple long cracks going through the glass so its pretty much an eyesore to look at. plus the thing is almost worthless since it only tilts open like 10 inches anyways. are there any good sunroofs i could steal from a different car, like the honda prelude style ones that slide back over the roof?

You probably could get one from a Honda or other car that slides over. The one we bought does just that and you could probably buy one similar and mount it yourself. The thing to look for is one the is not mounted to roof frame members in other cars unless you plan on doing welding. I would suggest measuring the size you have and find one in a slavage yard that is the same size or slightly larger. Use a jig saw to open the hole up in your roof if needed and go to a place that installs the ones that glue into place and buy some of that same glue. I would also suggest to add a rig or lip along the front edge of the opening so that you can reduce wind noise that generally occurs. Good luck

Robert

I'd go with a nice piece of sheet metal. Weld it in, and paint it up. I guarantee that you won't have any leaks!

Thats if you weld the seam all the way around. Which isn't hard but very time consuming. Plus if you weld continuous beads it will distort/stretch the metal.

Thats if you weld the seam all the way around. Which isn't hard but very time consuming. Plus if you weld continuous beads it will distort/stretch the metal.

I cut the top off a another Z and had a body shop weld it on. I think they used just mostly the top sheet metal to do it and skin the top of the roof, all the way to the sides. Had the rail shaved as well while it was there. I HATE moonroofs!!!

Davy

Yeah, if you hate the sun roof, weld in a patch (or have it done).

The roof is a complex shape, so unless you have the tools to work sheet metal, starting with a flat sheet will never work. Find a clapped out parts car and cut the roof off, even if you just want the center sheet metal. If you grab the whole roof (from the A pillars to the rear hatch) it will hold the shape of the roof sheet metal until it's installed.

I cut the roof off the parts car I picked up, just in case I need one.