HybridZ

Any interest in trading an L28ET setup for a built up N/A motor?

Guest bastaad525

Guest bastaad525

Okay I'm bored at work and just totally throwing this out there for the hell of it. It just occured to me out of the blue... even though my car has been for sale for a while, I still day dream about 'what might have been' or things I'd want to do if I end up keeping the car.

Much as I love how powerful the turbo motor setup I have is, I often find myself missing the instant responsiveness and the wonderful sound my old built up N/A motor used to make. It made 'only' 170whp compared to about 240whp now, and couldn't come close to my cars current speed... but man the n/a motor was crazy.

that motor, a 2.9 liter 'mildly' modded... man the thing revved so freely, and made so much torque so instantly... I remember driving the car in the rain (which I NEVER do now)... I had to be so so easy on the throttle or I'd spin the tires endlessly. I remember having to short shift to the point where I was going like 10mph in 3rd gear just to get traction! I remember how when taking off from a light it was easy as hell to burn the tires all the way thru first, half way thru second, and then chirp third and sometimes fourth gear!!

My turbo motor makes almost twice as much peak torque measured at the wheels, yet I never get this kind of tire spin or chirping.

I remember how easy it was to tune the SU's, and how great and MEAN the idle sounded with the mild cam. I remember the joy of revving that thing to 7000 rpm daily... while the turbo motor has nothing left to give after ~5500rpm.

I dunno... sometimes I really regret the trade... yeah the turbo is more powerful, and has tons more potential if I ever get back into upgrading it (still on the stock turbo, stock EFI), it is just missing some of the fun that made the N/A motor great.

So I wonder... anyone out there got a mild to moderately modded L28, making at least a good 175-200 whp, running carbs with headers and a cam, and found the car isnt' fast enough and you're wanting to maybe go turbo? A lower mileage motor that's been well maintained.

Just throwing it out there. Not 100% serious about it but I'd like to hear from anyone who might even consider it. If I were to keep the car there's maybe a 30% chance I'd eventually want to do this.

Alternately, maybe someone with a 240z with the type of motor I described above who'd want to trade whole cars? depending on the condition of the car I might expect some cash along with the trade (like if the cars are in similiar condition) or if your 240 is nicer we might make it an even trade. That might be more realistic.

Just throwing it out there... maybe not the smartest idea but man I just remember having so much fun with that n/a motor... and I never worried about it... I just beat on it. I didn't care. Now with the turbo I always worry... is the boost too high? Am I gonna get detonation? Do I need more fuel? Less timing advance? If I do a long uphill drive on a hot day am I gonna overheat from the boost? SU's are just like... match your airflow and set your mixture to the fastest smoothest idle and you're done. Jab the throttle and the thing jumps. I miss that. But in the mad quest for big horsepower I feel like I gave up some of the 240's original character.

hit me up with any interesting trades if anyone out there is even interested. Car is in my sig along with a cardomain link with all the details.

If you were closer I would offer you my built l24. It may not be making quite the power you are looking for but it certainly has the response and the character you speak of. It is a high comp, cammed, ported, and bored l24 with su's and a header. I love it, I am just looking for a bit more power. Oh well.

Guest bastaad525

LOL the pic in your sig making me even MORE nostalgic!!! That looks 90% exact to what my 240 looked like before I got it painted at earl scheibb. Same airdamn but I had the 280z hood. And then pulled my rear bumper.

that's another thing I miss... in some ways I liked the car better when it was primer black. I didn't worry about it at all, you know? After I painted it it's like every little scratch or fingerprint bugs me.

how much power you think your L24 is putting out?

power, I honestly have no idea. I know im as quick as a v6 mazda 6, which has 230hp and weighs quite a bit more. At the wheels, I really have no idea. Its quick enough to be fun, and the response is great, enough to chirp them in second jabbing the throttle. Its fun having it so responsive. Every time someone drives my car, they are really jerky because of how quick the throttle is. So, yea, its not that fast, but its fun as hell and was dead reliable (the engine at least). I think im gonna get another z shell and put that engine in it if i dont sell it.

The flat black is great. I think im gonna strip it down and re-flat it, as mine is textured enough that its hard to wash, but its so great to have it and not worry aobut it. Jsut to be able to spray a little more black on the chips or whatever. I love it.

Now that i think about it, i'm wondering why I'm doing this anyway, haha.

Guest bastaad525

yeah well no doubt they are very fun.

If I had endless wealth to burn I would gladly buy a nice 3.0 L6 motor with tripples and monster cam from rebello and drop that in this Z, or maybe keep it a bit simpler and go with the big bore SU's.

Yeah I remember how sensitive the throttle was on my other motor... no one could drive that car smoothly... especially given that it also had a lightened flywheel and ACT six puck. Few people could even move that car... take it in for an alignment or whatever and the shop guys always stalled it out.

Going over any dips or bumps at low speed always got the car jackrabbiting or whatever you call it.

And liek I said.... the thing was useless in the rain.

I wonder what happened to that motor after I sold it???? Anyways... I'm almost shocked no one else has replied to this... hell 3 years ago I'd have jumped so frickin fast at the chance to trade my SU'd motor for a turbo setup....

Guest bastaad525
Hehe. Maybe it's because of the way you advertised? You kept talking about how much you missed the NA-stroker etc. :-)

could be! well I figure... some people would probably be happier with overall big power, which we all know is far easier and cheaper to get out of a turbo motor, and is why I swapped. Don't get me wrong the turbo is fun as well... 303 ft lb (to the wheels) kick in the back every time you nail that throttle... has a nice way of adjusting your view on WOW :mrgreen:

Truth is if I had infinite money (and garage space!) I'd own a turbo 240, an N/A 240, and a V8 240 as well! each of them appeals to me in a different way. Anyways... it was just something that popped in my head... things were just more enjoyable because of their simplicity back then.

No matter it seems I may finally have a buyer for the car....

i kicked the idea on a trade around with my son on the engine since we are probably going to to turbo it later this year anyway. 3.2 is better with carbs than a turbo as the turbo doesnt need the extra cc's. but it was just a thought as we really dont know yet what we are doing next engine wise with it.

Guest bastaad525
i kicked the idea on a trade around with my son on the engine since we are probably going to to turbo it later this year anyway. 3.2 is better with carbs than a turbo as the turbo doesnt need the extra cc's. but it was just a thought as we really dont know yet what we are doing next engine wise with it.

LOL well that'd DEFINATELY be an interesting trade considering your engine actually makes MORE power!!! But yeah of course a simple turbo swap and bigger injectors could reclaim the lost power and then some very quickly and easily :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

would be the ultimate trade for me... since my goal was always to end up with something in the realm of 250 whp... and to get that in an n/a L6 would be the sweetest of the sweet...

Guest bastaad525
if your still looking, i have a rebuilt (i think) f54 block with an n47 head with a C/R of 10:69:1

just the longblock? Any carbs or anything? Anyways, car is probably getting sold next week....

not sure if this helps you but i have a l28 motor out of a '83 280zx with the SU's and all that but its not bored and it is a p90 head. however it does sound awesome and it gives me happiness when it gets to 6500-7000rpm but im planning on putting a blow through carb kit and a turbo on it but if you are interested we can talk, i live in sacramento.

like i said im not sure if its what you are looking for but the motor is in good shape it has the oil changed regularly and it is completely rebuilt so cheers

Guest norm[T12SDSUD]

No you can;t sell it already Brian!!!

Besides you have to keep it so that when I get my engine back together and run a 12.65 on street tires that I can be king of N/A street Z's again!!! LOL

Guest bastaad525

*sniff*

mine is being sold as well... guy came today, says he REALLY wants it, was ready to offer a deposit and everything...

I'm relieved, but I'm also very, very bummed out...