HybridZ

Dyno Fun

240hoke

Well i finally got my stuff together and went to the dyno this saturday. Looking forward to tuning and getting my car up to its poteintial.

Started out making a few pulls very short check the tuning 15-45mph 15-55mph etc. Tune looked good but as soon as the turbo reached full boost (11psi right now) the dyno just dropped off and we could smell the clutch. I was using the old centerforce d/f clutch from my 260 so i knew it could happen but didnt think it would give out so soon.

It held up to 200hp at 3800 rpm lol. then the dyno graph didnt mean squat. Also this weekend While under the car I noticed the turbo seals were getting quite bad. With oil dripping out of the bottom of the compressor. I knew it was on its way out too as it had a little shaft play. So anyway excuss for upgrading right?

Turns out i caught the turbo just in time as the compressor wheel was barely coming into comtact with the housing (no enough to cause damage that i see). Im sending the 2 year old turbo :( off for a rebuild and maybe a little upgrade :) . Prolly going with a ACT 6puck or a Stage 4 Competition Clutch if they make it for my car.

Anyway....

Pulled the tranny and clutch out this morning (2 hours lol) along with the turbo so im ready to go for hopefully next weekend or the weekend after that! Now i am definitly hoping to see upwards of 400hp

Anyway just thought i woudl share here are a few pictures:

actually found a crack in the friction material, but nothing major. I think the CF just wasnt up to it.

clutch_turbo_003.sized.jpg

drivetrain loss?

clutch_turbo_001.sized.jpg

Patiently waiting for goodies:

clutch_turbo_013.sized.jpg

You know actually that flat black Rustoleum bbq paint works EXTREMELY well, Ive seen it used on stock manifolds and as long as you apply it properly it lasts a long time.

Oh and on the CF dual slipping clutch, as soon as I went from my stock T3, to my new turbo, the clutch started to slip straight away. They just arent that great at all and what I dont understand is, they advertise 90% over stock or words to that effect.

Now to me that would say that it should hold at least another hundred hp. Yet it doesnt.

Well the df/df was holding 250hp and 305ft/lbs at 11psi and then i was running 16psi for quite sometime without any issues on my 260, but my tranny seal went and it got oil covered i cleaned it up but that prolly killed it a bit. cf/df sucks anyway.

So after hearing great things about a company called Competition Clutches i have ordered a Stage 4 sprung hub 6 puck clutch.

I found out about them through Jack at P1. He had installed them on a few turbo civics with 550hp and had no problems. He also called the pres of CC and talked with the him about the 280zx application he said the stage 4 would hold the power no problem. Supposeably they have near stock clutch pedal feel. Anyway i can wait to try it out.

With the sprung hub and different PP I wont run into the issues so many are having with the ACT

Heres a link to the site:

http://www.competitionclutch.com/view.phtml?f_cat=Sport+Compact+Clutch+Kits&is_makeable=1

img-5-1-small.jpg