HybridZ

I'm converting...

I'd prefer not to go too overboard with a 400 CI+ block, - keep it smaller and lighter.

So far this is what I've gathered:

Block: 350 (what's the block code/number -- similar to N42/F54 for the L engines)

Crankshaft: 3.75"

Rods: 6"

All of these parts seem to be cheaper and more readily avalible than the similar parts for the L series.

Guest BowtieS30
I'd prefer not to go too overboard with a 400 CI+ block' date=' - keep it smaller and lighter.

So far this is what I've gathered:

Block: 350 (what's the block code/number -- similar to N42/F54 for the L engines)

Crankshaft: 3.75"

Rods: 6"

All of these parts seem to be cheaper and more readily avalible than the similar parts for the L series.

Chevys dont really have block codes, they have serial numbers, the 350 came out in 1968, and the very early seventies 350 blocks are the desirable high nickel content blocks

try not to get ahead of yourself with the build, just get it on the road first.

the 700r4 came out in the mid seventies, but the first gen 700r4 had some problems, secound gen came out in the mid eightys, but for a performance application I strongly recomend going with an aftermarket unit, check out bowtieoverdrive.com, or TCI or B&M

the reason that chevy small blocks are cheaper is because the have been making them since 1955, to say they are common is an understatment.

good luck

PS there is a book you really should buy and memorize, its called "How to hotrod small-block chevys" put that on your book list along with the JTR manual

Block code, how about a 4 bolt main early model 350. I believe the number to look for is 3970010. This is a high nickel 4 bolt main block that has plenty of meat in the cylinder walls. Some people call them 010 or 020 blocks for short.

Mike