HybridZ

Regular non-engine paint on valve covers

getZ

Anybody ever use standard off the shelf paint on valve covers or intake manifolds? Just wondering because getting the valve cover paint to match the exterior paint is a pain.

Off the shelf as in latex? or Oil based? no those catch on fire....... you need an Enamel (i cant spell it) or a high temp [paint

I've done it, and then shot it clear coat. Looked nice for a while.. Doesn't hold up well to chemicals such as oil and engine cleaners.

280zxeng.jpg

That was about 4 years ago. Looks pretty much the same now, just more dull.

Powder coat the cover if you want a gloss like color finish.

Here are some that I've had powder coated in the past:

MVC-178F.jpg

1blue.jpg

1.jpg

I still have 3 Turbo covers out in the garage I've been meaning to clean up and get coated.

I did a high temp black wrinkle paint on the valve cover, well twice. The first time I did not prepare the aluminum valve cover well enough and it started to come off in flakes after a while. I then did it the right way and stripped off the old paint cleaned it for ever it seemed with all kinds of cleaners. Then washed it in Isoporpal 98%, bought some aluminum paint prep cleaner at Hilo Autoparts when they existed, painted it with high temp primer and then painted it with the high temp wrinkle black paint. After the paint dried and became wrinkled I sanded the top edges of the letters down to the aluminum and it looked really good and held up great. Nothing wrong with it for the next 4 years I owned the car and this one generated some serious heat (rajay turbo charged running 20 pounds of boost and a suck through carb version so no intercooler). Good luck but remember when doing the valve cover is to make sure it is so clean that it could be in a hospital and they would not care.