HybridZ

Spring lenght selection

I have tried to figure out what lenght of spring I should use for my coil over conversion. On my last 240Z project I used the long (12") AFCO springs vs the 10". Now I find myself with much shorter set of springs (6") with the correct rate and cannot see a problem with using them (as long as they do not coil bind at full bump). Packaging wise the 6" spring would work very well. I have looked through several suspension books and websites but there does not seem to be a rule of thumb when selecting spring lengths. What would be a good guide? Any sites that would enlighten me?

Thanks.

Based on your spring rate you heed to determine how much compression travel is left in the spring with the vehicle sitting on it. For a strut suspension on a car driven on the street you'll need about 3" of travel before coil bind. That means, at static ride height with two people in the car, full fuel, etc. a 6" spring shouldn't compress more then 1 to 1.5".

For a typical street 240Z you have about 650 lbs on each corner with two people in the car, full fuel, etc. That means a 6" spring would need a rate of about 600 lb. in. to safely keep from coil binding. That's stiffer then any spring run on a racing 240Z.