HybridZ

Help changing to 87-89 turbo LSD

Guest Gus86ZX

Guest Gus86ZX

Hi Guys,

My car is an 86 300ZX na, 5 speed. I have an open 3.7 rear differential thats whining like crazy. I want to change the ring and pinion and the rear to a 87-89 turbo 3.7 clutch LSD. I'm not sure if this will bolt right up or what other mods I need to do. I was looking to buy everything at one shot and go to town. Should I buy the ring and pinion gear to match the same year as the differential, ect? Help Please.

Guest Gus86ZX

Thanks Jon, I think I need to change the ring and pinion because of the noise I'm getting. Do I need to match the same year ring and pinion to the diff? and I'm sorry what are cv's?

The ring and pinion are inside the diff. If you swap the whole diff, then you've swapped the ring and pinion. If you take both of them apart and take the gears out of one and put into the other, you've just made your job 10x harder. The CV's are the Constant Velocity shafts that plug into the sides of the diff and bolt onto the flange at the wheel with 6 bolts. Take the 6 bolts off, pry the CV's out of the side of the diff with a prybar. Install the new diff put the CV's back in.

Do you already have 87-89 LSD diff in hand?. I think you'll find it difficult to locate one. I seem to remember not all 300zxt had them. They are like white elephants. Anyway, CV's is short for constant volocity joints. That are located on the ends of the 2 short axels that connect the diff to the wheels. That's a VERY breif discription. As far as changing out the ring and pinion, I would NOT do it unless you know what you are doing. There's stuff like measuring back lash and crush washers.I would do what jmortensonrecommends, I would just get the whole diff assembly and change it all out. It's a bolt in affair.

Guest Gus86ZX

No I'm looking for one. I thought it would be a good upgrade with the LSD. Plus, when my V6 engine goes, I might go the V8 rout. I have rebuilt so much of the rest of the car that putting in a V8 might make more sense than a turbo conversion. I should have bought a turbo first.

• 2 weeks later...